Rage 158 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I use this amp with a ESP - LTD AX - 350 guitar with EMG-HZ-H4 pickups. I almost never play another style than metal. When I first bought the amp I quickly saw that the distortion of the amp itself sucked quite hard. Actually its a p*ssy distortion. That's why I bought a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal a month after I bought my Peavey. Now my distortion is really brutal on my amp. Even for a 15 watt small amp it all sounds kinda good. The clean channel that the amp has is quite good I have nothin to say about it. This amp isn't very special when you dont use a effect pedal with it.

Overall this is a good practice amp but it hasn't got a good distortion equiped. I'm planning to play in a band. My Peavey will remain my practice amp but ofcourse with my Metal Zone pedal. I'm planning to buy a Line 6 Spider II 210. Like that ill really blast my f--kin roof off of my house. So this Peavey is a good amplifier for beginners who don't need a lot of distortion just to learn how to play the guitar. I must admit that the amp sounds much better with my new LTD AX 350 then with my former Stagg.

I don't know actually that I can depend on it. It just stands here inb my room for practice. Sometimes I take it with me when I go visit a guitar playin friend and it went to a rain and nothing happened to it so I think it's quite durable.

I bought this amp about 6 months ago. It was also the first guitar I bought with it. I didn't have any knowledge of amplifiers neither. Now I have heard several other much better amps then this one for example the Line 6 spider ll 15. Actually this Peavey sucks. It has two channels: clean and lead (if you want a reverb on you amp you have to buy the Peavey Blazer).