Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Prince Albert Music Centre

I'm running my BC Rich Platinum Beast through this little baby, and it sounds great. I also have my Warwick Rockbass Corvette goin through it too. I know, don't use a bass through a guitar amp, but hey, the amp can take it. This little sucker can crank to 10 and the quality of the sound is just as good as ever, even through the clean channel, however it kinda hurts the ears. One thing I don't like is the volume of the clean channel versus the lead channel, the clean is quite quiet at the max. The lead channel is pretty fine considering the size and cost of the amp. Again, a very good amp for practice.

This is my little practice amp, and man does it make practice a blast. This little amp can crank like you wouldn't believe! I play mostly metal and rock, and this can provide harsh enough tones for my styles. However I occasionally do some mellow stuff, and it's versatile, it makes any notes sound good. I personally play all sorts of things when I am to by any music accessory, I play jazz, blues, metal, rock, punk etc. And this amp stood out from the rest, for it's price that is. For $110 CAD, I would buy this again and again if it got stolen. For the price you get one helluva amp!

Well I kinda kicked the thing just after I got it, I'm clutzy that way. But it's fine, the mesh in fron of the speaker itself is really tough. I've had it around 3 or 4 months now, and I've had no problems with it. However, I would not gig with it, I mean it's a practice amp.

This is your basic practice amp, but better. Not too many features, but that's what pedals are for, eh? This tube amp has a lead/clean channel switch, and volume settings for both options (there is no master volume). It also has this awesome modern/vintage switch. The vintage makes the guitar sound more, well, vintage, ya know, more old school sound. I love this option, it makes switching from modern rock to '80s rock so much easier. And, of course, you have your three EQ settings, low mid and high, I keep mine set at 8 2 and 8 respectively, gives me that nice metal sound I want. As well as this, you get a haedphone jack as well as a cd input jack. I haven't used the CD jack, supposedly you use it to play along with music. But I have my stereo, thats good enough. One feature I miss is the reverb however. The only difference between the Rage 158 and the Blazer 158 is a reverb setting, I wish I would have known that when I bought it a few months ago, I woulda got the Blazer.