Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Peavey

The sound is great. There is no static or anything. You only get mushy background noise when you turn the distortion up all the way (post-gain). That's with the guitar unplugged. The sound is very good even on distortion (and even with a crappy guitar I have). The only problem I had was pick-up noise. So I bought a sound filter from Boss. I really love this amplifier.

I would recommend this as a perfect practice amplifier. 15-watts of unbelievable reliability, durablility, and sound.

It is a very sturdy design. It should last me for at least 10 year before having to get anything fixed on it. I am very sure of this. It was a 5-year warranty or something (actually I think it's a little longer). This amplifier is very well-built and you don't have to fiddle with anything to make it work. Hell, it even smells good coming out of the box.

I bought this amplifier brand new from Peavey's website. It am in love with it. It's only a practice amp, but it is very high quality (it's the newer generation of amps, remember). The sound from it is very very high quality and you would have to have a bad guitar in order to degrade the sound. The features include three EQ knobs (high-middle-low), obviously a master volume knob, a distortion channel with a pre-gain knob and post-gain knob, and a modern/vintage switch. The modern/vintage switch changes the sound between a warm, rich sound that you'd expect from a modern amplifier, and vintage, which gives you the sound you would get from an older amplifier. Older doesn't imply lower-quality sound, it implies a more "stingy" and "sharp" sound. It's really very good on distortion. The setting I normally use for distortion is the pre-gain all the way up, post-gain (when practicing) on 2, bass on 7, mid on 4, and high on 7. The vintage/modern switch is set to modern or vintage (although vintage sounds better for that setting).