Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Ted Good's Music

I use quite a few guitars with this amp and they all sound decent for such a small amp. It suits my music alright but I can't really tell since I never use this amp for anything other than practice. It is quite noisy with high gain and it has decent volume for an amp of it's size. The amp can play all sorts of different styles. Such as blues to metal. The clean is slightly distorted at high volumes and the distortion is okay for a $150.00 amp.

I play a lot of metal and this amp is alright for practicing, other than that, that's all this amp is really good for. If it were stolen I would probably save up for a better amp from Peavey like a Bandit or a Special 212. This amp is very good for its price and I compared it to a Fender Frontman 15 watt and this amp was overall just better. Better cleans and better distortion. You can certainly tell the difference between transtube and normal solid state if you sit down and compare. Overall this is a decent practice amp which is very well for bedroom practice or for beginners.

I can depend on it for bedroom practice but I don't think I could depend on it for gigging as it is too small and not loud enough, and I would just look plain stupid gigging with this amp. This amp has never broken down but the tube in the back does tend to get very hot after an hour or so of playing and this can lead to some electrical components being fried as I've seen it happen before with my classmates Rage 158 amp.

It's a 2005 Peavey Rage 158. It has an 8 in Blue Marvel speaker if I'm not mistaken. It's mainly just a practice amp so it doesn't have alot of neat effects or anything. I play alot of metal and death metal and I just use this amp in my room or when I just wanna sit down and practice. It has 2 channels, lead and clean. No FX loop, but it does have a headphone jack. I only use this amp for bedroom practice. It has 15 watts of power and that's enough for bedroom practice. This amp is also a transtube which is Peavey's name for a hybrid or a solid state with a pre-amp tube.