Rage 158 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Fox Music

I'm using the Rage with a Gibson Standard SG, with Double humbuckers, normally dropped down to a C or Db. As I found out that the distortion really wasnt what I wanted, I bought a Boss ME-50 effects processor, and this practically brought the amp to life, the trebles and bass lifted loads and now I'm reasonably happy with the results. The amp can get a little noisy but a simple noise gate can sort that out. I've also found that the amp loses sound quality after knocking up the volume, but it goes a fair way before this happens.

I wouldn't suggest this amp for metal or heavy rock, like I say, it gives more of a blues sound, but thats just my opinion. I've been playing 3 years now, and if I could afford a better amp, I'd buy one. This was the second amp I ever bought, and I'm reasonably happy with it. If it were stolen, the only reason id be pissed is that I couldnt have sold it on to someone who could really get the best out of it, but I think I'd go for a Line 6, as this is more suited to my playing genre. I did ask a few questions to the guy in the shop but he fed me bullshit basically about how the amps distortion is real heavy etc, but at the time the one thing that appealled was the price tag!

I doubt I could use this amp in a gig: it's not powerful enough and I don't think it sounds good enough for live shows! But as far as practising goes, its a good little amp and has basically delivered what I needed to start off. It's never broken down and I play the amp sometimes for 3 hours daily. I'd definatly recommend this for beginners as I know the price has come down since I got mine.

I have no idea when the amp itself was made, but when it comes to versatility the amp really loses points! I play a more heavy sound, ranging from grunge to metal, but I'd guess its better for a more bluesy sound, as the Distortion is pretty weak, compared to something like a Line 6 Spider 15. The amp has 2 channels, clean and distorted, the clean sounds nice, but far from pure, and regularly I find the trebles dont break through. On the plus side, it has a headphone jack which is very useful for late-night practising, and the volume can really pack a punch.