Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store Ottawa

As I mentioned, I use a stock Peavey Raptor Plus EXP. So these two piecese fit together nicely. I've also put a Fender Stratocaster on it and it sounded nice as well. Hell I even got an Epiphone bass to run through it (and not too quietly either) and it's still good! For a 15-watt amp it really can make some noise. It plays metal well with the distortion, blues sound nice on clean, you can do just about what you want to it and it'll sound nice. Great for a little practice amp.

If you're looking to gig and play big, you may want to look at a bigger amp. It's nice for my skill right now but I wouldn't mind some effects and stuff. I'm looking to buy a Line 6 Spider II 112 amp, it can handle more than this. But don't get me wrong, this amp is still great and it grows on you. It's a happy little guy if you will, and you won't be disappointed with it if you're looking to just have a little fun and screw around. Not at all disappointed. I still love it.

I've never gigged, I've been working on getting a band together. Personally I don't think it would be up to the task of a big gig, I'd be worried about it handling the noise I'd have to put it through, but when you're just playing for friends and family in your living room or whatever it's perfect. It's never broken down on me and I've never had it serviced. Still sounds great, I'm very pleased. I take good care of it though, it would be just stupid to throw it around like a blubbering idiot. It has an open back but that's not too big a concern.

I got this amp (with the Peavey Raptor Plus EXP, that combo) as a Christmas (2004) present. So I think it's a 2004 model. Not a bad amp, it's helped me bring up my playing. Part of the Transtube series. I play a lot of different stuff (anything from James Taylor to System of a Down and everything inbetween) and this amp can handle it fairly well. It has two channels, clean and lead, the lead with a pre and post gain. It's a fine little practice amp, and like I said it can play what you want not too badly.