Rage 158 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: jam.se

I play mostly metal music of the Slayer/Mastodon/The Haunted type. And I think that this amplifier lack the support of getting a distortion that sounds good for this. You can experiment with some distortion, but it's quite limited in my opinion. I use a Japanese Jackson SL1 guitar, and the amplifier does not keep as high quality in the sound as the guitar I think. With a distortion pedal I think it'll be great on the other hand, the speaker of the amp is not impressive eighter, when you play the lower frets on the smallest string, there is hardly any sound that come out at all, just some high frequent tone that is almost unhearable. At first I thought there was a problem with a guitar (since it was used) but then I tried with headphones and other speakers and it sounds good. So actually, with a distortion pedal and headphones/other speakers it'll be fine.

It's not that good, but it's cheap and it works. I don't know what I wheter to buy it or not, but in that price range there aren't many amplifiers, and there is nothing wrong with the sound level minding it's a 15W. But the price level jumps up a bit since you should get a distortion pedal for it to make it sound good. So I don't know actually! I can't say I'm very satisfied with it, but I don't had any better alternative, so I can't really say I regret it either!

Well, I don't play more than in my room, and it havent moved much from where I first put it, so I wouldn't know! But I havent got the impression that it is very fragile, my guess is that it's ok.

Well, it's a quite basic amp, 15 watt, 2 channels, CD input and a some stuff for that, clean and lead channel.It's a simple and good amp for practice I think, hard to get a good sound of it though, but more on that later. I bought it a few weeks ago with my first electric guitar. Since I am a beginner it's good enough since you can learn to play guitar with it, it's better to make sure you can play before you bother to make what you play sound good.

thrashmetalvipe
    this amp is wikid for practicing metal!! if u know ur guitar and ur amp ul hav no prob getn an awesome metal distortion i use my esp viper though it in drop c really heavy