Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: pongetti's (hamilton ontario)

I used my first guitar (also a Peavey) and my new guitar (Platinum B.C. Rich Warlock with 2 humbuckers). I find it has a lot of distortion at low volumes which I love. When you turn it up you lose a lot of distortion but it still sounds ok. I think the distortion is very good for a starter amp this size and I can play heavy metal with it no problem. However it is noisy with a lot of distortion. The clean is just a basic clean sound with a volume controll, nothing fancy.

This amp is good for beggingers. It is ok on clean and has a lot of distortion. If it were lost or stolen I would wonder why ne one would steal an amp this cheap and by a new amp. I like the distortion and I don't no if it's just me but it sound pretty loud for a 15 watt (I never play it past 1/4 volume unless I must fooling around). I think this amp is fine except it doesnt't have ne digital effects and isnt very versatile. If I had known then what I know now I would get definitly get the Marshall MG15DFX, it's pretty much the same price but has digital FX. this is definatly a basic mediocor amp.

This amp has never given me any problems untill just alittle while ago, the distortion channels volume wont go to 0 (however it will still turn down enough). It doesnt't really bother me and I could probably get it fixed but I'm too busy looking for my new amp.

This amp isn't very versatile however I found it was ok for someone just starting (this was my first amp I bought 3 years ago). I play most heavy metal however I do play some bluesy songs. It has a clean and distortion channel and headphone jack. I am getting a new amp because I need one with more efex but if ur just starting it will be fine. I use this amp in my basement and with my friend and it's suprisingly loud. It also has a "vintage" and "modern" switch but it doesnt't really do any thing.

Mechanixx
    I can get a great distortion out of mine playing my BC Rich through it. You just have to know how to use the EQ to get the tone u want. I play anything from Blues to Thrash Metal and its perfect.