Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Music City

I'm using a Washburn X-series guitar with this amp with Washburn H/H pickups. It suits my styles well (classic metal/thrash metal/horror punk/grunge). It is a pretty noisy amp, it buzzes and it's really staticy when it's on the lead setting and the volume is turned up. I could use a not so staticy distortion setting. It tends to sound pretty gross when playing high pitched riffs/solos, it tends to buzz a lot. The clean channel stays clean, no matter how high the volume, or how high you're playing on the the fretboard. This amp doesn't have much variety of sound, but, it has enough variety for the styles I'm playing.

My styles of music match this amp pretty good, and if you use a good distortion pedal it sounds perfect for shredding. I've been playing for about 2-3 years and I prefer this amp over most amps I've played before. If it were stolen I'd probably save some money and buy a bigger amp, but it would definatly be a Peavey or a Krank. I like most things about the amp, but I wish it's lead channel was slighlty less staticy.

It's a depenable amp. But I wouldn't use it at a hsow with our without a back up because it's more of a practice amp, it's only 15 watts. The only problem I've ever had with it was the input jack, it got a little loose, but that's a common problem anyway.

This is my first review, so bear with me. I'm not sure what year this amp was made in, it seems pretty new though. The amp, I find, is good for most genres of music. I mostly play Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Pantera and stuff like that. I also play some horror punk stuff, like Misfits. It has a CD and headphone input jacks, and they both work well. I use this amp practcing alone and when I'm jamming with my band, it puts out a lot of power for a 15 watt amp, it definatly has enough power for me. It has 3 equalization buttons as well as a Switch for modern/vintage sound. I find the Vintage rather annoying but the modern has a really good crunch when it's on the lead channel. It also has pre gain and post gain buttons, which work well with this amp's lead setting.