Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Used from Friend

It's loud! You can turn it down and all, but a small turn gives a lot of volume so you gotta be delicate if you wanna play quiet. When combined with a cheap 7 band EQ, it can make some awesome awesome cleans and tweak your distortion too. You gotta play with it all to get sounds you and your guitar like. I got a nice Morello/Original Fire sound from it. Pregain on about 6 or 7 with low at full, mid at 7 and high at 0 and some playing with EQ. I got a somewhat Santana sound too but it's just not the same without overdrive or a tube screamer (or hums for that matter). I play it on a cheap strat, SSS setup, nothing flash but I get all the sounds I want. Distortion has lots of treble, I like mine low and dry so my EQ helps. Also I like to play somewhat discreetly, don't wanna annoy the parentals too much so I suck some juice off from the EQ, about 5-10dB depending on what I need. If you turn down from guitar, you'll get clean when you want distortion and if you turn down from amp, you won't get that exact volume, always be either too loud or too soft. When I turn mine on, if the volume is a bit loud, it'll make a big "blooomp" sound when I hit the Switch, so I turn down, turn on then do whatever but that's no problem at all.

It's awesome for anything! Been playing for about 5 months and this thing rocks. My friend bought it a few years ago though so it's kinda old but amps never get old so quickly. If lost I'd be pissed, if stolen I'd kill someone most probably the mofo Who stole it. If I had the moeny I would buy another. It's good for anything, like I said it is better than most beginner amps so they might ask a fair bit but if it's same price or just a bit more expensive, definately grab it. Certainly a sound investment in my books, not a crappy 10W chunk of junk but 15W of Peavey genius. Definately worth the extra paper!

It's just too awesome, it'd be decent for a small hall, 100 or so people, loud enough for it. It's uilt pretty well, I use it as a footrest heaps. The back is exposed (look on google for pics) so I have it against a table. Built tough like I said, good brand, good product!

It has low/mid/high control, also has a clean colume and distortion, so you can play clean and then flick the switch and play distortion louder. So it doesn't have a master volume, really good feature. I Don't know much about the amp but the other reviews will tell tales. Versatile, hell yes! Awesome distortion, warm cleans, just fiddle with the knobs and you can do anything. It also has a CD jack so you can jam to instrumentals or what not. This means you can yank in anything you can get to be a 1/4" jack so if you hook up your TV to it, can do! Same with a second guitar but you won't be able to change the sound much, just volume from the guitar. So you can play lead with distortion while your buddy does the clean during verse! It's a transtube series so it's sweet. Really nice for the money. Certainly a better option for the beginner if they want something more than decent. I got cheap so I'm delighted, but you should be able to bargain shops for it.

jackson guitars
    I'm very curious to know why people have these $200.00+ guitars playing through a 15 watt amp why? And seriously who compplains about the distortion and a 100.00 amp? You don't buy these amps to get distortion, you buy them becouse you cheap, i would suggest to spend the money and get something good. I recomend the peavey 212 efx amp, great amp.
    jackson guitars
    childofbodom14 wrote: wtf it they changed the price i put for it
    They change evrything to US dollars. I'm guessing your a Canadian like me?
    -beyond-human-
    rage 258 is pretty gud ay... dis stuff bt wit stack, modern, and vintage... reall gud 4 the metallica sound (vintage) real gud 4 the black sab sound (modern) real gud 4 da overall heavy metal sound (Stack) thes sounds come with ma ibanez GRG170DX