Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Friend

Far out, I laugh out loud when I hear people say the Peavey Rage 158 Amp is a piece of crap (they don't know what they are talking about or they perhaps got a dud amongst the bunch which is believe me a one in a million chance! ). I've got one of these little beautys and I got it as my 1st amp at the age of 8 and I still play it regularly and I've just turned 19. it's still going. I got it second hand when I bought it. it's got a great range of tones you just gotta spend a bit of time tweaking the eq to find the sound you want. I mainly play my Squier california natural strat through it and it sounds just frigen awesome though I have also played acoustics, mics and humby electrics through it and all I love! The distortion is quite useable despite being quite high at a very low level but you can tweak the gain around a fair bit and still get a great range of tones. I'm not a pedal buff and am stilll yet to lash out and buy myself some decent pedals but essentially I primarily play as an acoustic guitarist and have never really needed them that much though I plan to get myself a Boss DS-1 soon. I've played Marshall MG15s, Fender Frontman 15s and a whole stack of other practice amps. None can face up to Peavey except maybe the Orange 15W practice amps but they're almost double the price and don't feel quite as sturdy.

I've been playing for about 12 years now and I've played though some fantastic upmarket amps i.e. Fender Twin Reverbs, Hiwatts, Marshall JCMs and certainly none seem to have that same ease of use, feel and great EQ. (Yet they all serve their uses. These amps are also plentifully loud for any venue up for bout 100 people. Mines a mid-late 80's model and what can I say but I still love it and would happily be buried with it. I'd be soooo peeved if somebody stole it. I would probably cry and then go out on a spree to find the bugger. If I couldnt get the amp back I'd probably go and purchase one of Peaveys 212 combos (Solid State) and a spare 258 cause of reliability and Live with that happily also. Long review but hopefully my ranting hasn't been too long and has been useful to those Who have read it.

I've mainly had this at home yet have brought it to pubs, parties and all kinds of venues and this has never once failed me. I've played a few of the newer versions of these amps and I don't believe they really sound quite as good and are definately not built as tanky however they are really the best practice amps in their price range the new 258 amp is a welcomed add-on to the great series.

This is by far probably one of the easiest little amps to use. Simple controls. Clean Vol, Channel Switch, Lead Dist, Lead Gain and a 3 band EQ (all very useable). What more can you want in a practice amp? Perhaps DFX though I hate most DFX systems. lol

[B]C [R]ich
    haha yeahhh this little amp can kick some ass! i used it for like 2 years and never had a prblm with it. it really shines though through my g2.1u though. but its now been retired to practise amp now that i got my 120 watt laney half stack weooo!
    :_EsP_ThEbEsT_:
    mr_sinistah
    :_EsP_ThEbEsT_: wrote: i got this amp brand new for $50 lol i was wondering how ppl used effect pedals with this amp because there isnt a pedal input thing can anyone tell me...?
    pedal input?? you plug your guitar into FX and plug that into a clean channel. Turn amp on and away we go! Not hard at all
    :_EsP_ThEbEsT_:
    ohhhhh i thought that there was supposed to be a input for the pedal lol i thought it was suppsed to be connect to some pedal input lol thanks
    8footsativaist
    This amp is awesome! Granted, reverb would have been useful, but there's always pedals to supplement it eh? I've been playing on it using Ibanez RG 320 FM, and a Jackson/Charvel combo, both unmodded. This is a hell of a loud amp for a 15 watter, I've been able to compete easily with my mates drumkit at a mere half volume. The distortion is great if you get the setts right. Despite a review saying the vintage/modern switch does jack, vintage gives more tone, it's pretty useless if you're practicing your technique at low volumes and want to make sure you're not stuffing up, and it gives more of a sharp tone to the higher notes on the clean channel. Overall, I'd give it an 8-9/10.