Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

At the moment, I usually use Gibson style guitars (LPs, SG's etc.), and using it with my Epiphone LP at university with a fex effects I bought (Boss SD-1 for a solo boost and a Dunlop crybaby wah for kicks). With the 2 gain controls, it's quite possible to do anything from Chuck Berry style classic rock (shuffles etc.), right up to NWOAHM and the really heavy stuff. Got a nice set of EQ for my style (I usually play Punk of most sorts, NWOBHM, Hair metal & Classic/Hard Rock) and it works an absolute treat. The Drive & distortion ya get with cranking this us is actually better than using my Marshall MG50, or at least is easier to get a better sound with it (I've never liked the Contour control). Ok, if you crank the thing as high as it can handle, you're gonnd get a lot of noise, specially with the Drive, but that happens with almost any amp if ya push it enough.

I've been using this since I started playing electric (4 years +) & it's been great for me - Glad I got this over the Squier Starter Kit, because I remember the ones at my school always used to break inside 6 months or so. Ok, so when I'm at home I usually plug into my big ol' Marshall, but that's just me. I still like this little thing, hence why I brought it away with me instead of just buying a new pactice amp. So far as extra features, nothing that'd be fair to ask for in a newbie pack, like a footswitch for the channels would be a bonus, but as an amp on it's own, it's pretty damn solid. OK, so it's not exactly a DSL full stack, but for what it aims to achieve, it's a bloody good job from Peavey. Only thing I'd wished it in terms of Ethics was that it was made in the USA or something rather than China, but apart from that, it's a great package.

I've had it 4 years, and it hasn't had a single glitch at all. That's all I need ta say about the reliability, and the way it's going, chances are it'll be at least another 4 years before I need to replace it, & by that time I'll hopefully have no qualms about it. So far as gigs are concerned. No. In practices you can barely hear it over the drummer, & that's with proper cranking. Although I did use it for a college show, & got asked to turn it down quite a lot, so yeah. It's definitely possible (that was in a small-ish theatre, 200 capacity), so tbh it is definitely possible to use it for a gig, but I wouldn't advise doing that regularly.

I'm presuming made in 2003, as was the year I got it. Part of a Peavey Starter pack (along with Raptor guitar, lead, picks, the usual shebang). Your usual practice amp fare, but seems to have been done better than normal. 15w Solid State 2 Channels, clean & lead (drive/dist.), with a volume for clean, pre/post gain for the Drive, and a simple low/mid/hi EQ for both drives. A CD input as well, as well as a L/O or headphone jack. Fair enough deal, really, and for 50, it's not bad at all. The speaker's 8 Ohms I think.