Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

I use it mainly for practice, which consists of weird stretch formations and such. When I'm playing my styles, I play pretty much classic rock and heavy metal, with the occasional today's rock. The amp provides a well enough sound it doesn't make me want to slam it into the wall, but my guitar hates me for limiting it's possibilities. It's not really noisy at all, for my guitar at least. For my old First Act guitar if you found the right place to sit at there wasn't a buzz, but that was kind of annoying. There isn't much variety to the sound. It's either clean or distorted for classic rock or metal, and it really sounds like crap until you max the distortion. The clean channel is actually pretty impressive, as I mentioned earlier. Whenever I play Pink Floyd's stuff it sounds really nice. Doesn't really matter which settings it on, it's just a nice channel. The distortion is sub-par.

I've been playing for about 2 years, and I've played many different guitars and tried out many different amps. For my style of music, this thing actually kind of blows. After playing others' amps, and coming home to this, I can't wait to buy a new amp. If it were stolen or lost, I'd forget about it and save up about 30 more dollars for the Line6 Spider III.

Oh yeah - you can rely on this. You can slam it into the back of your truck as you're headed places or leave it outside on your porch overnight, all that jazz. This thing is pretty old and still in perfect working condition.

This amp is an interesting one. I received it from a friend to use as a practice amp, and have been using it with my ESP MH-400 for about 2 months now. Unfortunately it's just not great enough to tackle heavier stuff, (it gets really loud, but at a certain point you can hear it rumble in itself through the bass) but it works really well for just practice. It has two channels; clean and distortion. The distortion channel doesn't sound too great, but when you fiddle around with the equalizers (low, middle, treble) you usually can eventually find something you like. The clean channel is actually pretty nice for the cheap little amp that it is. There is also a switch for Vintage and modern settings, Vintage will give you crisp notes, where modern will give a nicer tone with a little more added bass. The amp has plenty of power for what I use it for, simply practice. I've used a couple of effects boards with this amp and successfully gained a pretty professional tone, actually. And some higher grade distortion pedals like Boss's Metal Zone make it sound very nice. But you aren't going to watch to use this for a gig or anything, just get a bigger one or run your guitar through a PA system. What I like about it is the headphones jack, which pretty much every amp has anyway. My mother sleeps pretty early, so with a 1/8 - 1/4 converter I can plug in my headphones into the jack and grind away without making a sound.

supea
    I have Rage 158 and it's completely different than what's in the picture and what you've talked about... wtf?