Rage 158 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Peavey: Rage 158

I am using an old and cheap single coil Hamer through it. If I had a better guitar the tone might be a bit better, but I doubt it would be great for anything. The amp is decent for most music styles but it does not seem to excel at anything. It has more gain than anyone could ever want, with the gain at 8 you cannot pick out notes anymore, it is just a constant roaring of fuzz. The clean stays clean even at high volumes as far as I can tell, but I tend to leave the volume under 75% since my neighbors don't care for any noise.

I play everything from the blues, to some prog metal, and the tone is very flexible but it just is not great at anything. I have been playing this time for a year, but I play with this amp for around 6 months back when I first got it. I use a OS-2 pedal with it since, I am not the biggest fan of the gain on this amp. If this amp was stolen I would probably get a better amp if I could afford it, but for the price it would be worth it. I wish it had built in reverb, and I wish the tone was a little better.

I have yet to have any issues with it and this thing is around 10 years old. If I had to use it for a gig I would trust it, I just don't feel the tone is that great for me to use it in a gig. This amp has even been dropped down a flight of stairs and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it.

This amp is great for a practice amp, but is lacking in some features. I really feel it would be nice for it to have at least reverb, but for a beginner it has plenty of features. It has two channels, lead and clean. It also has the option of Modern or Vintage, the Vintage is a little bit more treble-y while the Modern is more Mid-focused. It has a head phone and CD player jack. I use it in my room as a practice amp, it has more than enough power to piss off the neighbors so I tend to leave the volume pretty low.

Riqquuu
    The Rage 258 sounds pretty juicy with few effects and a little overdrive boost for amps distortion. Connected it into my friends cab trought marshalls modeller and was perfect