Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

I'll be recommending this amplifier over the new, entry level modelers for a while yet to come. The quality of sound is significantly better than anything I've heard from the comparable MG, Spider or Frontman. It also lacks the cheesy effects, which some may see as a disadvantage but I was quite alright with it. The clean channel is pretty sterile but quite usable, typical of a cheap solid state amp. The distortion channel is pretty incredible all things considered. The gain on tap isn't tremendous, single coils are limited to more of an "overdrive" but I could reach metal-esque tones with my PRS. Most importantly it's clear, notes are audible in chords and solo lines stand out quite well. It is somewhat noisy, though I used mine to record for quite some time.

This is still my first recommendation for students and friends looking for a starter amp. It's versatile, just loud enough and durable. I haven't found a reason to get rid of mine yet, though I've collected quite a few amps over the years. I've sold quite a few too, but never this one. It keeps a safe place in my old bedroom, which I guess is now the guest room of my parent's house. You'll notice that I rated the features as 8 but gave the overall impression a 10. Some may be put off by the lack of effects but for an 80 dollar amp I don't think a beginner can do any better.

I wouldn't swear by it's reliability, it's obviously cheaply constructed yet mine hasn't failed me in 6 years. It will far outlast any up and coming guitar player.

This was the first amp I bought with my very first electric guitar, I must say it served me quite well. It had enough features to keep me satisfied for quite a while. A clean and distortion channel with a three band EQ strip and a bright switch. There's not much more you can ask for on a cheap starter amp. It also provided a CD input and headphone jack which I must admit I never used. At 15 watts through an 8 inch speaker it provided enough power to rock out in my room and at gigs for my parents yet not enough to get evicted. It lacks the built in effects of modern day modelers but this was a plus to me. Something to keep in mind, anyway.

Ana Lisa Meloyo
    i bought these amp for a $200!! but i am satisfied with his sound, his dist is awesome, not is extreme but sounds crunchy and kick asses, unless in high volume x.x
    ChewyNasalPrize
    Great little amp. Very versatile and powerful for a small amp. Tremendous value on the used market today. And Peaveys don't hardly EVER break!