Studio Pro 112 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Peavey: Studio Pro 112

Purchased from: Strings Guitar Centre (Local)

I've mainly been playing metal and hard/alternative rock (Lamb Of God, All Shall Perish, Breaking Benjamin) and it's not been too bad, had I not played on any other amps, I would have said it held up fairly well. This amp is pretty good as a larger practice amp, that's basically what I've been using it as. I recently got into recording and sticking an SM-57 in front of it almost works, again it would be nice to have some more guitar tone come out in the distortion, but clean is pretty nice.

A great amp when I first got it, however it is really a step above a practice amp. I've been playing for 5 years now and I think it's time for something a bit better. If you can get a second hand one and you've not been playing long then it's not a bad amp, loud enough to be heard above drums and able to gig with it.

This amp has survived pretty well. I've taken it around a fair bit and I think has only taken one hard bump. It's never broken, is pretty sturdy and would be able to handle gigs no problem. Never had a knob or switch come off or not quite work properly, the only thing that went wrong was the switch pedal just stopped working after a year (it was second hand, so it may well have lasted 4-5 years).

I got this transtube amp probably 2 and a half to 3 years ago. It was pre-owned and had an appealing price. It's got 2 inputs, clean and distortion channels with seperate EQ settings for both, a pretty bad reverb and a "T.Dynamics" knob (basically more power at low volumes). The Clean channel has a modern and Vintage switch and the distortion has vintage, modern or high gain. These options are nice to have but mine tended to stay on the modern settings out of personal preference and the awful tone on the high gain setting. However there's pretty good choice for the price I paid, even though the tones weren't the best (my bronze series B.C. Rich Warlock sounds the same as my Diamond series Schecter Blackjack ATX). It also comes with a footswitch between clean and distortion, this broke within the first year and I'm still not too sure why...

rv_phoenix
    MaggaraMarine wrote: I hate it when people just look at score. Read the review and then judge (and it was a crappy review, too short).
    I completely agree with your comment. The second review doens't seem to understand what a TransTube means (a Solid State amp designed to work almost like a Valve one), and the first reviewer didn't notice the bitter irony of an average SS amp baptised "Pro". As for the Peaveys, some are great (but as expensive as any Fender of the same quality) and some are mediocre. Most of them suffer from poor quality speakers, which in turn make them great for modding. A Classic 30, for instance, could be turned into a fantastic amp by replacing its crappy speaker with a Celestion 30.
    MaggaraMarine