Transtube 258 EFX review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Peavey: Transtube 258 EFX

Purchased from: Mammoth Music

I don't really like tube amps at all. They don't have enough distortion. However, the clean channel is very bright-sounding and overall delightful. I like messing around with the effects, because it has so many I can achieve the exact sound that I need. There is no noise at high volumes, but I don't play it loud very often, so I wouldn't know very well. While the overdrive sucks, the clean channel balances it out, so I like the sound.

I have been playing for 4 and half years, but have only owned this amp and a crappy little Epiphone starter amp. Still, I know that this is a really average amp, and I would not buy another if it was lost or stolen. The only thing the amp is really good for is jamming with my friends.

I wouldn't do a serious gig with this amp. I have played small elemtary school talent shows with this, and that's all I want to play. I'm supposed to play at a major music festival in my town, and I will not play this. I am looking into a Marshall. It is not very durable, and sometimes it just won't turn on. Not a very reliable amp.

I think that this amp is a 2000 model. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The overdrive channel sucks, because it is a tube amp, so I bought a pedal to go with it. I have played some gigs with it, and the volume and everything was enough, but the gigs were small, and I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to compete with some of the other amps for loudness. I play a lot of classic rock, some metal, and some modern rock. (but not very much, because music certainly sucks these days) Led Zeppelin is my major influence, and the amp doesn't really cut it. It has a switch where you can choose between vintage or modern sound, but it doesn't really make a difference. There are many different digital effects on the amp, and most of them are pretty high quality. My favorite is the Octaver, because I can play a song where the guitar and bass is the same, like Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love," and it will sound exactly like me and a really good-sounding bass are playing it. This has very good reverb. All in all, an average amp.