Transtube 258 EFX review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube 258 EFX

Purchased from: Local store

I'm using a Epiphone Les Paul with a P-90 humbucker. As I already said it fits well with all styles of music. It never makes much fuzz, unless you have alot of distortion/bass. It has 9 effects. They are flanger, delay, octaver, touch wah, reverb, rotating speaker, chorus, phaser, and tremolo. The Clean channel is never fuzzy, and the distortion isn't to bad.

I play all styles of music, and as I've said, it fits every one. I've been playing for about a year and 1/4. I only own an Epiphone Les Paul and another starter 15 watt amp (which sucks compared to this). I don't really wish I had asked anything before I bought it. If somebody stole it, they would have a quality amp for about a day, and then I would hunt them down, hurt them severely, and get my amp back. But if that didn't happen, I would buy another one. I did compare it to a Vox 25 watt, and a Crate 65 watt, but I chose this one for the price and clear tones. My favorite feature on it is the Wah. I don't really hate anything abut it. My favorite feature is obviously the Wah, using reverb and echo. I wish it had a bigger speaker, but thats just because I think it would look better.

I can definetly depend on this amp, but only for bedroom or practice, it's not loud enough fo gigs. It packs alot of power though, for only 25 watts. It's never broken down, but I've only had it for 2 months. I've pulled a couple of Pete Townshend's on it, and it's never had any problems.

My amp was made in 2004. I play anything from classic rock to pop-punk, and it fits well in all styles. It has 2 channels, chorus and lead. I don't really wish it had anything else. I only use this amp for practice, or when I'm playing in my room. It's got TransTube technology.

redwater
    i also have the transtube 258 was all i could afford at the time have owned it 2 years now i do believe i keep it in my bedroom n practice on it ughh im more into metal so the distortion isnt enough for me but the clean channle with my rp300 digi pedal sounds alright i suppose is nice for blues jazzy kinda style unless u play clean then its nice just to sit around few friends n play.. i tried the cube by roland my god id trade this in and my peavey super chorus 2-12 amp in for it!!! love the cube
    HeXeL
    Bought this thing today. Not really sure why people give it such negative reviews. The effects are killer, way better than those on my Spider III or VOX Valvetronix I played in the store as well. The sound is very clear. IMO this amp has great rock/clean tones, and you can clearly hear the difference between vintage/modern settings on both. Just in comparison, Valvetronix distortion channels sounded exactly alike to each other. Yes, it does have low distortion but my Metal Muff takes care of that. Its a great amp for small dorm/bedroom practices which is why I like it. IMO its a best amp for the price. Best SS amp I've played that was under 30 watts. And yes, I've tried Roland cube and it didn't have good cleans at all but enough distortion to play metal. In the end it all comes down to personal preference but I found this amp perfect for me.
    HeXeL
    To add a little more... I'm having a feeling that people rate products they've never tried in their life. Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS test the equipment before checking out the ratings online.
    Halfblackhkyply
    i don't know why people are calling this a tube amp. i know it says transtube on the front but "the amp reacts just like a tube output section by responding to the preamp with natural compression that increases as the amp gets louder. With TransTube(R), you get a killer amp with widely ranging dynamics and natural "grit," just like a tube amp!" ...so it's not a tube amp. if you didn't know that your reviews are null and void. it's s descent amp. don't use it for live gigs it's not loud enough without major ugly distortion. it's a very nice mid-level, small starter gig amp. It has lots of tones and sounds and it's very responsive to tweaking.