Transtube 258 EFX review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube 258 EFX

Purchased from: Local Music Store.

I use a First Act, an Epi SG, and an Ibanez with this (all stock pups). It's great for metal and hard rock, and cleans are great. It'll hiss if you have a wah pedal on and face the wrong way. Other than that, it's great. The dirty channel is quiet, but a little bassy. It gets a wide range of sounds. The clean stays clean no matter what and the tone gets think at high volumes. The distortion will get you some metal, but some stuff you need a pedal for, I can pull off some thrash with this, but I would keep a pedal handy just to be sure.

I play lots of styles of music, and this amp does it all. I've been playing for a bit over a year, and I've played several amps, and own 3 electric guitars. This amp is not what it looks like, it packs a punch. I would def. Buy it again it it was stolen. I love the tone, and the effects. I hate that it isn't louder. I use the chorus effect all the time. I compared it to a Roland Cube and other Pevey models, but I got this because it fit's me best. It's got everything.

I can depend on it for quite a bit. It's very sturdily built, very strong. I wouldn't gig with it, it's too quiet, but if it were louder, then yes I would gig without a backup. It hasn't had any problems yet. The power cord in the back cuts out sometimes, but if you plug it in right, it stays.

This amp was made last year I think. I play everything prom punk, classic rock, and metal on this thing. It does them fairly well, the distortion isn't the best but get a pedal and your set. It's got 2 channels, you can Switch on it or with the optional foot pedal. 9 built in effects as well as reverb and adjustable delay. A headphone jack on the back. I use all the features and couldn't really ask for more. I use it as a practice amp for my bedroom, and playing outside for family. It's plaenty loud for small things like that, but not enough for a gig, maybe a very small one. It's 25 watts and transtube so it's SS but sounds more like a tube.

Ron.Glasscock
    Sean use a metal pedal of your choice. Better yet use two distortion pedals turned down half way...
    sean.ballance
    any reconmondations on how to get the distortion more metal like and more distorted for heavy thrashing? i lovee the clean sound it has, but the distortion sucks unless volume is super low,,,what can i do to get the volume up and get some good heavy distortionwith it as well? any suggestions please let me know asap..
    ana.anarojas
    im thinking about buying this amp for my bass guitar. I know it will sort of ''owe'' me in the low frequencies but Im doing it cause the owner its selling it on a very low price. Still, you think its not a good idea?
    dead-kennedys69
    It has a decent clean sound but the switch board broke within months for me but its no more than a practice amp