Transtube 258 EFX Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 03/27/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Transtube 258 EFX
This compact amp delivers countless sound combinations - all with the expressive, responsive, fat tone of Peavey's TransTube technology. It's best of modern & classic worlds for guitar players.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 5,848
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Transtube 258 EFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Purchased from: Mammoth Music

Features: I think that this amp is a 2000 model. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The overdrive channel sucks, because it is a tube amp, so I bought a pedal to go with it. I have played some gigs with it, and the volume and everything was enough, but the gigs were small, and I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to compete with some of the other amps for loudness. I play a lot of classic rock, some metal, and some modern rock. (but not very much, because music certainly sucks these days) Led Zeppelin is my major influence, and the amp doesn't really cut it. It has a switch where you can choose between vintage or modern sound, but it doesn't really make a difference. There are many different digital effects on the amp, and most of them are pretty high quality. My favorite is the Octaver, because I can play a song where the guitar and bass is the same, like Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love," and it will sound exactly like me and a really good-sounding bass are playing it. This has very good reverb. All in all, an average amp. // 6

Sound: I don't really like tube amps at all. They don't have enough distortion. However, the clean channel is very bright-sounding and overall delightful. I like messing around with the effects, because it has so many I can achieve the exact sound that I need. There is no noise at high volumes, but I don't play it loud very often, so I wouldn't know very well. While the overdrive sucks, the clean channel balances it out, so I like the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't do a serious gig with this amp. I have played small elemtary school talent shows with this, and that's all I want to play. I'm supposed to play at a major music festival in my town, and I will not play this. I am looking into a Marshall. It is not very durable, and sometimes it just won't turn on. Not a very reliable amp. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 and half years, but have only owned this amp and a crappy little Epiphone starter amp. Still, I know that this is a really average amp, and I would not buy another if it was lost or stolen. The only thing the amp is really good for is jamming with my friends. // 6

Transtube 258 EFX Reviewed by: sglover34479, on march 27, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music Store.

Features: This amp was made last year I think. I play everything prom punk, classic rock, and metal on this thing. It does them fairly well, the distortion isn't the best but get a pedal and your set. It's got 2 channels, you can Switch on it or with the optional foot pedal. 9 built in effects as well as reverb and adjustable delay. A headphone jack on the back. I use all the features and couldn't really ask for more. I use it as a practice amp for my bedroom, and playing outside for family. It's plaenty loud for small things like that, but not enough for a gig, maybe a very small one. It's 25 watts and transtube so it's SS but sounds more like a tube. // 9

Sound: I use a First Act, an Epi SG, and an Ibanez with this (all stock pups). It's great for metal and hard rock, and cleans are great. It'll hiss if you have a wah pedal on and face the wrong way. Other than that, it's great. The dirty channel is quiet, but a little bassy. It gets a wide range of sounds. The clean stays clean no matter what and the tone gets think at high volumes. The distortion will get you some metal, but some stuff you need a pedal for, I can pull off some thrash with this, but I would keep a pedal handy just to be sure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for quite a bit. It's very sturdily built, very strong. I wouldn't gig with it, it's too quiet, but if it were louder, then yes I would gig without a backup. It hasn't had any problems yet. The power cord in the back cuts out sometimes, but if you plug it in right, it stays. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of styles of music, and this amp does it all. I've been playing for a bit over a year, and I've played several amps, and own 3 electric guitars. This amp is not what it looks like, it packs a punch. I would def. Buy it again it it was stolen. I love the tone, and the effects. I hate that it isn't louder. I use the chorus effect all the time. I compared it to a Roland Cube and other Pevey models, but I got this because it fit's me best. It's got everything. // 9

Transtube 258 EFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Purchased from: Local store

Features: My amp was made in 2004. I play anything from classic rock to pop-punk, and it fits well in all styles. It has 2 channels, chorus and lead. I don't really wish it had anything else. I only use this amp for practice, or when I'm playing in my room. It's got TransTube technology. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Epiphone Les Paul with a P-90 humbucker. As I already said it fits well with all styles of music. It never makes much fuzz, unless you have alot of distortion/bass. It has 9 effects. They are flanger, delay, octaver, touch wah, reverb, rotating speaker, chorus, phaser, and tremolo. The Clean channel is never fuzzy, and the distortion isn't to bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definetly depend on this amp, but only for bedroom or practice, it's not loud enough fo gigs. It packs alot of power though, for only 25 watts. It's never broken down, but I've only had it for 2 months. I've pulled a couple of Pete Townshend's on it, and it's never had any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music, and as I've said, it fits every one. I've been playing for about a year and 1/4. I only own an Epiphone Les Paul and another starter 15 watt amp (which sucks compared to this). I don't really wish I had asked anything before I bought it. If somebody stole it, they would have a quality amp for about a day, and then I would hunt them down, hurt them severely, and get my amp back. But if that didn't happen, I would buy another one. I did compare it to a Vox 25 watt, and a Crate 65 watt, but I chose this one for the price and clear tones. My favorite feature on it is the Wah. I don't really hate anything abut it. My favorite feature is obviously the Wah, using reverb and echo. I wish it had a bigger speaker, but thats just because I think it would look better. // 10

Comments