Transtube Bandit 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Bandit 112

Purchased from: Local Retailer

I play both a Fender American strat and Peavey V-Type Exp through this amp and they both sound GREAT. The clean is just that, clean, even when played LOUD. The distortion is where this amp really shines. With my Fender on the neck pickup I can get a perfect sound for songs like Betterman where you want a little crunch to it, or when I plug in the V-type and turn the pregain up it sounds like a 5150 head - Loud, Perfect overdrive. One last thing, this is billed as a practice amp - but calling this a practice amp is like calling Central park a neighborhood park. I play out regularly with this thing in relatively big venue's - bar's that hold 100-150 people and I have NEVER turned the volume above 4 - and even that's pushin it. I did test this at FULL volume and there was NO signal degredation (I think the sheffield speaker helps here)- it sounded great - although I couldn't hear for about a week after. This is a perfect budget amp for the gigging musician who likes rock and roll.

AWESOME - if this was stolen I'd buy another in a heartbeat (unless I was feelin crazy and went for the 5150 head and cab). I play alot of Van Halen, Black Crows, Led Zeppelin, and Pearl Jam and this not only works for each of em, but can SOUND like each band. For VH, just turn EVERYTHING up, for Zeppelin, about halfway on the pregain, etc. I've played through a Crate 2x12 (shit), a Fender frontman (nice, but not awesome), and a Marshall AVT50 (again, nice, but a distant second) and this amp BLOWS the others away. The only thing I can fault Peavey on is the footswitch which has been giving me problems but that's a 20 dollar fix. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to have a GREAT sounding amp, get this.

I have beaten the CRAP out of this thing and it hasn't even hiccuped. It actually got dropped down a flight of stairs once and the only thing I had to do to fix it was replace the volume knob - just the plastic part. It's stayed in a cold car overnight w/ no reprocussions, played hot for 5 hrs straight w/ no problems. Very good as far as I'm concerned.

You pay for sound - Period. So many times companies think we need a built in chorus or some other damn thing, which we ned up paying for. This amp has none of that, Clean and distorted channels. That's pretty much it. The T-dynamics control is sort of an extra, but if you learn how to use it correctly you'll find it is ESSENTIAL, allowing you to dial in the sound you want.