Transtube Bandit 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Bandit 112

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I use it with a 1970s Epiphone Semi, an Epiphone SG, a cheap Strat copy, a Gibson Les Paul and an Ibanez RG. It sounds amazing with all of them but the LP and RG sound the best. They all have humbuckers except the Strat which is single coils and the RG which has 1 single coil and coil split. It suits emo really well but it sounds amazing with metal. It isn't noisy at all with the lead unless you use single coils when it isn't very noisy anyway (compared with a Marshall). It can do pretty much any overdriven sound and any clean. It has 2 clean voicings and 3 distortion voicings which can add to the versatility and give loads more sounds. The clean channel does not distort at all unless I use relly high power pickups which I made myself for my strat. It has so many winding I had to take it off cos it didn't fit properly and buckled the scratchplate. The distortion just sounds great. You can have great vintage drive (think AC/DC) or amazingly evil stuff (Slayer, Dimmu Borgir) or great blues (B.B. King or Gary Moore).

This amp is the most versatile one I have seen. it will suit any style and outdo all rivals. I have been playing about 8 years now and I have used Marshalls and cheap amps before this and this amp beats the lot. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one. I'm planning on getting another one anyway! I love the sound and the design. I don't like the new Peavey logo much and my next one will have to have the same old logo but it doesn't really matter. The whole thing is my favourite feature. I compared it to a load of Marshalls, and Orange and some fenders and I totally preferred it. Whats the point Marshall? You'll never beat it. My only wish is that the made a stack version when I bought mine but that doesn't matter 'cause they do now. Great amp.

I have gigged my amp many times and it has never broken. My mate has one the same and he really chucks his around but it is solid as a rock. It is built really well and I would be surprised if it broke.

The amp was made in 2005. It suits the music I play amazingly well. From blues to jazz to metal and classic rock. I do lots of metal and rock but it cleans up nicely for a bit of B.B. King and some jazz stuff. I mainly play emo though and it is great for this. The channel switching really helps when I switch from those sparkling cleans to that screaming lead. It has an effects loop but I use pedals with true bypass switching but it works well anyway. There is no headphone jack but you aren't exactly gonna buy this to use headphones. It doesn't have any built in effects but I don't need them I use the amp live and at home and it works great. It came with a free footswitch which is good cos it costs 20 quid on its own.