Transtube Bandit 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Bandit 112

Basically, the clean channel is absolutely fantastic, while the gain channel is terrible. I have rated it a 9 on the basis that if you're in the market for a solid state amp then it's the clean channel you will be buying it for. If you are looking for something with a great on-board distortion then please look elsewhere, preferably at an all valve amp. The transtube technology is pretty cool. The amp sounds more "tube-like" than a lot of hybrid amps out there (Marshall Valvestate I'm looking at you). It adds warmth and compression, just like real power valves. For a great clean sound the amp is great just on its own. The clean channel also takes pedals well - with a great dirt pedal you can get a tone that easily competes with a lot of real valve amps. It is a reasonably bright amp. I find I dial the bass way up on this compared to my other amps.

I play hard rock and old school metal. I've been playing for sixteen years, and I bought this ten years ago - I've picked up a lot of gear in the interim since then. I gig and rehearse with valve heads, and have valve combos for home use now. I actually have this Peavey Bandit set up in the practice space at the moment to run vocals through, and it works great. If it were lost, I'd probably replace it with a foldback wedge, but only because I have enough other amps already. If you want a warm clean amp, then the only real drawback to this amp is probably that it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a half stack or a tweed combo. For the price you can pick them up for second-hand these things are ridiculously good value.

It has been treated like shit and never broken down. I did misplace a knob somehow. It's been thrown in and out of car boots, on and off stages, had beer spilled on it, been used as a seat, and as a doorstop. I just Switch it on and it always just works.

This is a solid state combo amp. It has 2 channels, an effects loop, independent 3 band EQ on each channel, and a power section with "transtube" circuitry that models the response of the power section in a valve amp. It has a 12 inch speaker, and a jack for an extension cab. The dirty channel has a master volume, gain boost, and. I am not sure how much power it has, but it's loud enough for any rehearsal, or for smaller gigs - larger gigs will see you mic'ed up to the PA so it's loud enough for those too.

johnny_o
    Best solid state amp I have ever used. Great tone, super versatile, and pretty damn loud. The reverb is really good too. Mine fell out of my band's van one time and took a couple bounces off the asphalt (the van was parked on a steep incline), and it still works perfect hahaha.
    Good_Lord
    The built in distortion sucks real bad tough , I don't know how you could ever have a metal tone in this thing... It's really loud tough ...
    meateatingvegan
    jlyndon666 wrote: Has anyone purchased the latest model?
    I bought a new bandit 112 last year, LOUD it's pretty nice, not very many effects though, just reverb and a boost setting which I don't see the point, it;s just basically another volume knob to me; throw in a footswitch and a wah pedal and/or multi effects pedal you're set
    Xraiser
    I have this amp and the distortion on high gain kicks ass. I have the newer model, i think. It's not the one in the picture. The only problem I have is the bumping noise that the amp makes when I switch it off. Does anybody have this problem?
    The Judist
    This amp is soooo loud! Watch me using it here - I swear - on the 50% power setting with volume at 2. I'm using FX to front of amp these days, so it's the clean channel on 2. Two! Unmic'd!