Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

Purchased from: Local guitar shop (used)

I switch between a Telecaster w/single coils and a Epiphone Les Paul Special w/humbucklers. This thing can do any style I need blues/punk/funk/metal classic rock. It is really great at capturing that warm tube sound. It's noiseless, if you ever do hear any noise (I haven't yet) you can flip the polarity. The clean channel never gets distored but I haven't been above 6 (6 is loud enough for a gig). The distortion is amazing and may be a bit much for even most metal players.

I mostly play punk/blues/classic rock, and this is perfect. I have been playing for 2 years and I own this and a bunch of pedals. But this amp is my pride and joy. I do wish I had asked if there was a headphone jack, but it hasnt been that big of a problem. I don't know if I could afford to buy it again I got a great deal on this (used) and I don't know if I can afford it new. I compared this to a Fender FM110, a Crate Tube amp, a Crate 65w SS, and a Peavey Studio, I choose this because it was so veristile. This amp is a monster!

I would never gig without a backup anything because anything can happen but I don't think this thing is gonna break anytime soon. Peavey's are built like tanks. It hasn't broke on me yet.

This is a 2004 model, I don't know where it was made. This amp is increadably versitile, I mostly play rock/punk/ska/metal and it can do all of them perfictly. It has 3 channels, (clean, lead, and ultra). However don't be fulled because you can switch between modern and vintage sounds on all of them, and on the lead channel it had a high gain mode. On the ultra channel it has an ultra distortion feature this is more then enough distortion for death metal. The only feature I wish it had was a headphone jack, because there isn't one. I use this amp in my bedroom however it never goes above the 2 marker w/volume this thing could fill a bar easy, or a concert hall. It's solid state but the transtube is increadable.