Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

Purchased from: Music 6000

I use it mostly with my Gibson Faded LP Special (neck: 490R alcino magnet humbucker; Bridge: 498T alcino magnet humbucker). As far as I can tell it suits all styles of music. It's not noisy at all, except if you turn the reverb up alot it makes a funny buzzing sound, but not too loud. It can make just about any sound imaginable. I havn't turned the clean channel up past 5 or so, and at that point it hadn't started to break up. Not sure if it will at higher volumes. The clean is warm if you want it to be, and twangy, sort of like a Fender. I love that tone. The distortion can go from slightly overdriven to absurdly brutal distortion that is easily enough to satisfy even the most hardcore metal-head. I love the tone of this amp. Because it is a transtube amp, you get an almost tube tone, at a fraction of the price.

This amp is a good match for blues, all types of rock, metal, and just about every other style I can think of. I've been playing for about a year and a half. Before this, I had a beringer V-tone 15 Watt amp (yes it does suck). If it were stolen, I'd try to buy another, but I've never seen another of this specific model, so I might try to find a cheap all-tube combo instead. I love the huge amount of sounds you can get out of it, and how easy it is to get them. If it were stolen, I would find the whore who took it, and I would... make them an offer they couldn't refuse(for those of you who have read "The Godather"). The only thing I don't like is how bloody heavy the thing is. I dropped it on my foot once, and could barely walk. And I had a soccer game that night! I bought this amp because I was on a buget, and it was the best sounding amp I could find in my price range. It was used, and on sale so I got an amazing deal. Like I said, I wish it had a line out, and a headphones jack would be nice, but I am overall very happy with this amp. Love it to death.

I've had this amp for about five months and it was previously owned (I don't know for how long), and I have had no problems. I'd gig without backup, and have confidence in it.

I got it used, so I'm not sure what year it was made. I think it's an older model, because it doesn't look like the new ones, and doesn't have all the same features. this amp is extremely versatile. I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, and metal, and this amp fits all those styles with ease. It has three channels: clean, ultra, and lead, and came with a footswitch. It has an effects loop, and there is a button to activate it on the footswitch. I wish it had a line out for recording into my PC. I'm not sure the exact wattage, (it was used and came with no manual or anything). However, it is more than loud enough for anything I plan on doing in the near future. It can easily be heard over drums, but also sounds great at lower volumes. If, for some reason, it's not loud enough, you can hook it up to a cabinet and get up to 600 extra watts that way. It is a transtube amp. I believe this means it has a tube preamp, but a solid state power amp. Don't trust me on that, as I'm not sure.