Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

I suppose the sounds is pretty good. I do notice a marked improvement using this amp with humbucker pick-ups over my old strat single coils. It's amazingly clean at high volume. I would say a tube amp still offers better sound quality but I am quite amazed with how good this thing sounds for a solid state. I play mostly metal and shred guitar and it works reasonably well for that.

Great amp for the price but then again Peavey is good at this. I would definetly recommend it for a practice amp or even to gig with. As I said before it's pretty good for just about any style of music. This of course also means that it doesn't really excel at any one thing either. I would most certainly buy this amp again especially given the low price. A cranked Marshall stack will still sound better but then again it's 2-3 times the price. Also a delay and chorus would be a great addition to this amp. Since this amp is geared toward multitasking a delay section and chorus would be a great addition nsaving me the need for a separate pedal.

I bought this thing in 1997 and it's held up through all kinds of crap. There is a bit of twitchyness when you turn the knobs now-a-days resulting in some static but otherwise it's all there. I've never serviced it and that's saying a lot considering that I used to crank this thing all the time and it's still got enough power to blow your freaking head off.

3 channels: clean, thrash and ultra with foot pedal. Solid state amp with high voltage transistors so as to mimic vacuum tube amplifiers. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Good for just about any style of play from really thick to clear distortion to muddy bluesy stuff.