Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

Purchased from: Friend

I use a Washburn x-50 guitar with emg humbuckers. I play several styles of music, depending on which band I'm playing with that night. I play some country (Johnny Cash style) some funk, lots of jazz, but mostly progressive rock (Perfect Circle-esque) and this amp is more than happy to deliver the goods. It's a very quiet amp, unless I have the ultra channel on the highest gain, then it has a slight hiss. The clean channel is clean. I mean Mr. clean clean. I haven't heard a tube amp with a better clean. It stays true all the way up to 8. I haven't gone past 8 because it Hurt my ears too much. The distortion channels are great, but could be a little better. Volume-wise, no gripes here. It'll blow the skirt off a girl from 5 blocks away! The tone does tend to get a bit muddy at higher volumes, though. Having said that, if you keep the volume at just above ear-shattering, it still sounds great.

I've been playing guitar for just over 10 years. I chose this amp because I wanted a tube sound, but solid-state gigworthiness. I also wanted an amp that was as versitile as my playing styles. This amp seemed to be the best compromise. If it were stolen, I'd buy one that day to replace it. While I do prefer a true tube sound, this amp just never lets me down. Great tone and absolutely durable. I played just about every amp on the market before deciding to pick up this amp from my friend. I played the Mesa triple rec, several Marshalls, and a few Fenders, all tube amps, then I tried a Carvin tube-emulator amp. Didn't care too much for the Carvin. It was obviously solid-state. The Peavey seems to fool a lot of ears into thinking it's a tube amp. I can still tell, but not enough to care.

Like I said before, this is my only amp. Not because I can't afford another one, but because I don't need another one. I've dropped this amp off a 5-foot high stage, then went on to play a 2-hour show. Like most Peavey equipment, it's bulletproof. My band-mate's Crate has gone T/U on him at a few shows. He carries a Peavey for a backup.

This is an older model, not sure what year. It has to be the best solid-state amp I have ever played! It covers all musical styles from jazz, to country, to metal and everything in between. The model I have has 3 foot-switchable channels: clean, lead and ultra. It also has a foot-switchable effects loop. I use this as my one-and-only amp. Both for practice and for gigging. I have no trouble keeping up with the other guitarist Who is using a Crate 200 watt amp and (2) 4x12 cabs. I only have to crank up to 6 while he is pushing 9-10! The trans-tube is great. I can dial in my sound, then use the trans-tube to adjust the volume. Very tube-like compression. Not perfect, but very good.

H, Omitted
    believe it or not "the godfather" is as good of a book as it is a movie. As for this amp I tried one of these in a music store, and I love the vintage tones.