Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

Purchased from: Morgans Music

I played many guitars through this amp, from a Studio LP, to a 12 string Ric and every thing in between, and it sounds pretty bland with any guitar I tried, the guitars personality is just lost a bit. Like I said before it's okay amp for solid state, but would be good for someone looking for a nice versatile amp that is gig worthy. As far a tone and versatility, it has more gain than anyone should ever need, but can be tamed to get more Vintage mid-gain tones as well. You can definitely find a lot worse amps out there. The clean channel is the best thing the amp has going for it.

I play rock, and like I said it served me well, but I found the amp a bit sterile, I played guitar now for 7 years and have since owned many other amps. This amp was a privilege that allowed me to discover the types of tones I was looking for, and yet still be able to play at gigs and have a somewhat good tone. I have traded this piece of gear off, and would not buy it again, since I am all about tone now, I wish I would have started the tube amp journey when I bought this amp, I would have been better off, but hey the amp is what its.

Built super tough, I am not rough on my stuff, at least I try not to be, but this amp weighs a ton and is built tough, it traveled with me for 2 years with out any hitch what so ever. I always gig without a backup. Peavey stuff is alway buit extra heavy duty, I love them, they really make great equipment.

For a Solid State amp it's really not too bad. This was my first real amp before getting a good tube amp, and it served me well. It's very versatile with three channels, clean, mid gain, and high. The OD channels sound a little sterile but hey it is solid state, the clean channel is better than the other channels IMO. For what this amp is it's pretty good at what it does, great second amp for a musician Who is looking for his tone, and wants something they can gig with.

travd92
    my friend had one and its pretty awesome. i love the vintage tones also. they actually have a good amount of bottom end.
    CrossBack7
    This thing is heavy as f*ck just to let everyone know. It feels sturdy as hell, just bought it off my friend for $130. Looking forward to breaking it in.
    jimy931
    this amp is loud as heack, with the volume turned up to 5 or 6 it fills up a pack gym during basketball games
    CrossBack7
    I can't get past 3 in my house. A light fell out of the ceiling from the vibrations in my basement :-\
    caballeroares
    mi peavy 212 transtube viene equipado con 2 alltavoces de doce pulgadas y cuatro ohmios conectado en serie ya que el amplificador entrega 100 vt.la marca de los conos es blue marvel,con fsx digitales incluidos controlados por pedalera incluida por favor mostrar imagen de mi modelo
    dasmonkey
    I bought mine when I was 18, so we're talking about 12 years ago. I have moved with this thing over 5 times, played god knows how many gigs, spilled an unimaginable amount of beer, whiskey, etc on and in it. It has been used, abused, and has never let me down once. I used it by itself for years, then used it with a 4x12 Fender cab for a few years. The sound I get from this thing is just epic. It is so loud, and powerful. My band mates kept complaining that I was too loud, which I was, but that just tells you how powerful this thing is. I bought it used, guy bought it,and his wife made him return it, for maybe $200. I have considered buying a new amp, but I just cannot justify it, It is so reliable, powerful, and just an amazing piece of hardware. As you can see I am very fond of this amp, but to take the level of abuse it has, and still perform as well as it does (after all these years, and gigs), is just phenominal.