Transtube Special 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Special 212

Purchased from: roberson music, El Dorado, Arkansas

It sounds not as good as a Marshall, but then I didn't pay Marshall prices. The highs can be a bit much with my Strat, but that's mostly my lack of willingness to change settings from my Explorer to any other guitar.

I would buy this amp many times over. I imagine I will have this one for many years more, It sounds good as new overall. But the level of durability has just impressed me to no end. It is like the Jeep of Amps, It doesn't care what I do to it, it is just gonna do its job regardless, and ask for more.

I use it with a variety of guitars. I use Strats, Tele's, an Ibanez Talman, Gibson Explorer studio, and an Dean Explorer copy. It doesn't matter what I use with this thing, It rolls with it, and kills it. I've noticed minimal distorting at volume, but with age and all it has seen, there is quite a bit of static when you change settings. I have not ever cleaned this thing though. I have abused the hell out of it, and it takes it, almost challenging me to bring more.

I bought mine when I was 18, so we're talking about 12 years ago. I have moved with this thing over 5 times, played god knows how many gigs, spilled an unimaginable amount of beer, whiskey, etc on and in it. It has been used, abused, and has never let me down once. I used it by itself for years, then used it with a 4x12 Fender cab for a few years. The sound I get from this thing is just epic. It is so loud, and powerful. My band mates kept complaining that I was too loud, which I was, but that just tells you how powerful this thing is. I bought it used, guy bought it, and his wife made him return it, for maybe $200. I have considered buying a new amp, but I just cannot justify it, It is so reliable, powerful, and just an amazing piece of hardware. As you can see I am very fond of this amp, but to take the level of abuse it has, and still perform as well as it does (after all these years, and gigs), is just phenominal. I play mostly Hard Rock, and some Metal, touch of funk, and It handles it like a pro. It has a selector foot switch, but I just use my Boss pedals, they fit my sound better.