Transtube Studio Pro 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Studio Pro 112

Purchased from: Used

I use this amp with a Squier Strat that has vintage les paul deluxe pickups in it, and the sound is very good. I like to play metal and grunge, and it suits my needs perfectly. The equalization can make a huge difference. I can go from Kill 'Em All trebly Metallica, to a near Pantera sound and back on just the modern setting on lead channel. Imagine the possibilities of sounds you can get when switching selections or channels. Rather than most solid states amps like the spider II and Roland cube, which have a lot of models, but very little customization of sound, this amp cuts down on modelling, but can deliver a very customizable sound. It's a loud amp, but the noise is minor, unless the gain is high, and my pickups are facing the amp, and I'm right beside it. The distortion can get pretty powerful if need be, but the tone never gets muddy. The clean tone is excellent thanks to the celestion speaker, and is not much worse than tube quality clean. It's a very warm, yet bright tone, and it's definitely a lot nicer than my old amp. I've never played past 2/3 on clean, but it hasn't clipped or even distorted slightly, and due to Peavey's transtube technology, it'll sound somewhat like an overdriven tube at higher levels rather than clipping.

I play a lot of grunge, metal and classic rock and this suits my needs perfectly. This is my second amp, after starting off with a no-name beginner amp, and I'm very pleased with the sound. It's very giggable, and I recommend it to anyone who is buying an amp just before moving to tube. The clean is very good, as well as the distortion. If it were stolen, I'd kill the person who stole it, because this is like a child to me. I like everything about it, except that the reverb is a tad too strong, and makes the sound when I'm soloing a little less clear. Overall though, this is a very good amp, and one of the best of it's kind.

This amp is very solid. The person I bought it from before has gigged with it plenty of times, and the only problem was that some screws were a little loose from the reverb tank when I bought it. I believe it will last a long time, as it was made in the US as well.

This amp was made in 2002 in the United States. It's 65W of solid state sound. This amp isn't a stock Peavey Studio Pro 112, as it had a celestion speaker put into it, when I bought it, so I'm sure it improved the sound. The amp has two channels: clean and lead, and the clean channel has two selections: modern, for a brighter tone, and vintage for a warmer tone. The lead channel has three selections: vintage (for blues and an overdriven tube sound), modern (scooped tone for metal) and hi-gain (good for classic rock, and possibly hard rock). It has volume and equalization controls seperate for each channel, as well as gain for the lead channel. It also has reverb and a "t-dynamic" control (I believe it's a compressor). It also has an effects loop, a footswitch plug-in (my footswitch was included) and an external speaker jack, so you can hook up another amp for extra sound.