Transtube Studio Pro 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Studio Pro 112

Purchased from: Melody Music

I play my Peavey Raptor EXP Plus through this amp which has a humbucker style pickups. The amp suits my playing style (which is hard rock and metal), although I would not recommend this amplifier for blues or country players. The lead channel truely shines and deserves to be played loud. The 12" Blue Marvel can measure up to my lead guitarist's Laney full stack. At about volume 6 or so the clean channel starts to get a tad fuzzy and the lead channel only gets fuzzy if you have no clue how to work pre and post gain (believe me, leave it to a singer to adjust amps). But I have found that by adding some built in reverb all noise is pretty much eliminated, although a noise gate pedal would probably work just as well.

When I was originally looking for an amp, I had my eye on Peavey's Transtube 112 EFX. When the store didn't have one, the owner himself recommended the Peavey Transtube Studio Pro 112. Even though the Studio Pro doesn't have the built in effects as its 112 EFX cousin does, it satisfied my hunger. I plan to purchase a multi effects pedal in the near future for use on this amp and possibly my Peavey/Silvertone 2x8" practise stack that I have constructed myself with a Peavey Backstage and a Silvertone SMART III. I own two electric guitars; a Peavey Raptor EXP Plus and a store brand electric that my parents had purchased for my younger sister. If this amp was stolen (I strongly disagree that I would be able to LOSE a beast like that), I would get the next size up, a 212, just because you can always go louder.

Although I have yet to gig with this amp (no drummer, no gig, savvy), I would defintely gig without a backup as long as I have a 412 extension cabinet. When I purchased the amp, the worker had accidentally dropped the amp when he was bringing it to the front of the store. It was the only one left, so I readily got it, even though it may have been broken and it wasn't. This amp survived a 3 foot fall, but maybe it was because of the styro-foam.

This amp is a fairly new Peavey model. I would have to go with a late 2007 release, because I have a Peavey catalogue, which was released in September and the amp if not in there. I play hard rock and metal most of the time, but I do play the occasional punk or emo. The amp has two channels, a clean and a lead channel. It doesn't come with a footswitch, but it has a footswitch jack available along with an expansion jack. What the expansion jack allows the user to do is to expand the sound into a cabinet, such as a Peavey 412, as recommended. The downside to using the expansion jack is it disables the single 12 inch Blue Marvel. The clean channel has volume, low, medium and high settings along with two amp models that are controlled by a simple toggle Switch, allowing your sound to sound modern or Vintage as the models are called. The lead channel has standard low, mid and high controls, but also has both a pre gain and post gain control. Like its clean counterpart, it also has amp models, but it has one more model, making the toggle Switch a three position Switch. The models for lead are as follows: high gain, modern and Vintage. For instrument input both high and low gain inputs are provided, and two guitars can be plugged into the amp, making both guitars low gain. Master controls are reverb (which I believe to be Hall Reverb, not so sure) and Dymanic. What dynamic does is allows you to adjust how much power is going to the speaker. I personally leave mine at 25%, to insure our dumb bassist can't accidentally plug in and blow my baby.This amp uses Peavey's signature Transtube allowing it to have the power of a tube, but not the high tech maitience of a tube.