Transtube Studio Pro 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Studio Pro 112

Purchased from: Recycle shop in Japan

Well, like I said, the only good mode is the clean mode. I like metal, blues, rock, well, I've studied just about every playing style there is. Not that I'm great or anything but I thought the lead tones were just pathetic. A simple DS-1 or TS on the clean channel are a much better option. Actually, I use a Vox Tonelab, that is just awesome compared to the other multieffects out there, and the studio pro is PERFECT for that because the clean channel is so darn undisturbed. If you something ELSE to get your tone from, like a Blackstar tube overdrive or something like that, THIS amp is good.

I had to leave all my gear behind in the US when I moved permanently to Japan for personal reasons, and I needed a straightforward amp, cheaply. I was used to an all-tube setup but using this and the tonelab I'm quite happy. This thing can get LOUD too, enough to play gigs at a comfortable volume. If you get it, though, be aware that you need SOMETHING to get your tone. Plugging a distortion pedal right into it will sound a bit weak, the only viable channel is 'clean'(and man, is it CLEAN), which you will really appreciate if you have something else you get your tone from. I've tried lots of other solid state amps with my tonelab, this one really lets it shine.

No problems, its a Peavey solid state, should last well into the next century... Starting to hear some crackling when I mess with the knobs, though. I barely have to touch them so its not a problem now. But I've seen solid state amps degrade from crackling knobs to constant burnout.

To be honest, if you know good tone, you'll only use the clean channel. Comparing the lead channels to simulated tube or even my big muff, they just don't sound good. The transtube channel does add some extra dynamics that can make whatever you plug into it sound extra-nice.