Transtube Studio Pro 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Transtube Studio Pro 112

Purchased from: Ebay

I mainly use my Schecter Damien-FR with EMG-HZs in D standard with the amp. I play prog, death, thrash metal and all sorts of clean stuff and the amp alone does not meet my distortion needs at all. I need to use my DigiTech DF7 pedal with it to get a half decent sound with it when playing teh metulz. The three distortion settings on it aren't very good no matter how much you tweak the EQ. The only setting that is really tolerable is the Vintage setting which gives me a half decent hard rock sound. The modern setting sounds way too fat and blunt with no chance of getting a thinner metal sound and the high gain setting pretty much just makes it even fatter. The amp is also quite noisy with the gain on. The cleans on the other hand are nice. I use it on the Vintage setting and the sound is more than satisfactory. I like the T.Dynamics knob on this amp. There is certainly a noticeable different between having it on 10% power and 100% power. It gives the sound more character and perhaps definition.

As I said I play a lot of metal and without a decent pedal this amp ain't a metal machine. With my DF7 pedal and with the T.Dynamics up full though I can certainly get a very good sound from it and the three band EQ gives you room to maneuver. The Studio Pro 112 serves my wants pretty well especially for the cheap second hand price I got it for but It is really nothing special. Thanks for reading.

I've had the amp for three and half years and it has never failed me but then it has never suffered any gig abuse and has never been taken out of my bedroom. I would rely on it though.

This amp has built in reverb, three gain channels, vintage, modern and high gain and two clean channels, Vintage and modern. It also has a three band EQ for both the clean and distortion channels which is nice and a T.Dynamics knob on the end which tries to mimic the sound of a tube amp hence the "transtube". The only feature I'd like this amp to have is a headphone jack as for some reason it lacks one. I use this amp for bedroom practice but as it is 60w I'm sure it'd be able to handle a gig easily as long as I had a noise gate.

MaggaraMarine
    dynastywest69 wrote: I'm buying one these on Tuesday lol for 20!! This review is quite a good one so I look forward to having a shred on it!! Is it possible to use a 2x12 on this?
    You can check if it has a speaker out in the backside of the amp. I think there is a speaker out. And for 20 you can't go wrong (lucky bastard...)
    markleehunter
    Yup, there's a speaker out. Plus effect send and return. And footswitch. Very complete package. Stock it sounds great clean, you can get sweet crunch out of it, and it loves pedals. Loud enough for a club, light enough to carry in one hand. They regularly sell for about 100 euros used in excellent condition. Unless you're a tube snob, that's one of the best deals out there. However, the Blue Marvel speaker ain't great on low frequencies. Change it out and you've still got pro gear for cheap.
    markleehunter
    I've been playing nearly 50 years and have owned lots of gear. I picked this up used for 100 euros. Nice amp, light for its power, very versatile tones. Only shortcoming is the stock Blue Marvel speaker, flabby lows. I replaced with a Celestion 70-80, and the improvement was immediate, as another reviewer noted. Transtube amps lack a bit of presence compared to good tube amps, but they're very close, and they're far better than a great many cheap tube amps. The reviewer who said that the engineering on these went into tone controls nailed it. If you don't like the sound of this amp, you probably haven't spent enough time adjusting its various parameters. As another reviewer above said, it's also a great platform for a MFX (I use a Zoom G2Nu) or a modeler. My favorite setup is a Tech 21 Blonde pedal into the gain channel, vintage setting, with just a bit of hair added on the amp. The Studio Pros sell for peanuts used, like nearly all Peavey SS amps -- about one-third the new price. New, they're very good value. Used, in working condition, they are ridiculously good value. Get one cheap, change the speaker, and you have a first-rate gigging amp that doesn't break.