Ultra 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Ultra 112

Purchased from: lokal music superstore

The sound on this is rather good, it's very versitile for different styles, from acoustic (although you really should buy an acoustic amp for that) to thrash/shred metal and a lot of the stuff inbetween. The clean channel is a lot like a vintage amp really so it does distort but this is the good, tube kind, and if you don't like it, turn it down and turn up the master volume! This is a pretty modern style amp so it's not very good for tweedtone stuff (although it is pretty bright when you want it to be). It does jazz pretty well, but it would probbably need a bit of Eq treatment for it to work best at it. Overall, I like it!

This amp is very good for most styles of music and is great for the guitarist who prefers real tone and dynamics to digitally created crap.

Despite having a pretty "hand made" feel, it is very solid and will easily do gigs no probs. It's also rather loud even without an extension cab. It hasn't broken down yet but that's because I regularly (well y'know what I mean) replace the valves or "tubes." I can stand on this thing without it breaking so that's good but on somedays it makes an unnerving crakling noise at random intervals, yes that's it.

This amp was made a few years ago and I've had it for about a year now. It's an all tube, 60w combo 3 footswitchable channels, switchable impendance and 2 speaker outputs for an extension cab (also availible in 2 or 4 speaker versions but I'm cheap so I got the 1 speaker version) a sheffield speaker (I like sheffield) and Fx loop for various effects. Oh yes and a thing that changes speaker damping.