ValveKing 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 112

Purchased from: PMT

I'm in love with the sheer tone of this amp, it comes by the bucket load. I play in a thrash metal band, and it sounds awesome for those kinds of songs. I love playing good, old hard rock too, which this amp I would say is probably more suited to. And I play blues and Jazz, both of which, sound pretty much identical to my teachers Fender Deluxe amp, which costs 450. I own, a USA Fender Stratocaster, a USA Deluxe Fender Telecaster and a Jackson DK2 Pro. All of which seem perfect for this amp. The Stratocaster has a modified bridge pickup, I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in it, (the one Iron Maiden Use) and it seemes like a match made in heaven for rock and metal. The amp can be noisy with my Telecaster because the bridge pickup is single coil and sometimes with my Jackson because of its high output. but this is only when not touching the strings at all. This though isn't really the amps fault. The clean can get a bit distorted when up near the 3/4 mark, but that's what valve amps do. The distortion can have a rally classic feel to it if you turn the gain boost off, the volume boost off and move the texture dial on the back to class 'A' low power, and can then be changed to a far more modern metal distortion by switching to full 'AB' power and turning on the gain and volume boosts again.

This completely fits the styles of my music tastes and blows me away on both the clean and lead channels. I've been playing almost 4 years now and own a Hiwatt - Maxwatt 100 Watt amp also, and this amp just destroys the Hiwatt with its tone. I would totally replace this with another if anything happened to it, and I would cry. One last thing, this amp seams pretty loud, I would say if I didn't know any better that it was more than 50 Watts!

I would gig with this amp and this amp only I suppose, it seems well built. I would recommend leaving the amp on standby for five mins before playing to make sure the valves are warm and don't get damaged.

I think my amp is a 2008 model, and it's awesome. I read a million reviews before I bought it saying stuff like it isn't any good for metal but it really does have the guts for it! I agree, the speaker isn't the best out there, but that's why it's so affordable! I find that it more than copes with whatever I can throw at it, which is anything from extremely clean blues to thrash for the band I'm in. It has two channels, clean and lead. Both of which have amazing tones at even low volumes, I tried out a 212 and it seemed to me that it needed to be played louder to get those killer tones on lead, but the 112 works harder and I think this plays in it's favour being a valve amp and all. I use this amp in my bedroom and for my band practices. it's tones come in at low volumes, which is amazing for in the house, and it's mouth warteringly loud for band practice, it more than keeps up with my fellow guitarists Marshall AVT 50 which I believe should have cost HIM 100 more. I'm only giving it 9/10 here because it has to be said, the speaker could be just that little bit sharper.

The Wisemanator
    TheBax
    The Wisemanator wrote: guys when i turn my texture knob onto full power, the volume of the amp goes sooo quiet you can hardly it, whats up do you recon? x
    um... electric guitar forum?