ValveKing 112 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: ValveKing 112

Purchased from: George's Music

Playing mostly 80's thrash and hard rock. First thing I would reccomend is get rid of the stock speaker. Peavey should just stop using it and add 50 bucks and upgrade because it really is awful. I replaced with a Hellatone and it immediately changed the amp to something workable to achieve a decent tone. Also the stock tubes are not very good IMO, I changed the stock pre-amps to Grooves and it made the clean channel brighter although not much of a noticeable change on the dirty side. And that's where this amp falls short. The gain side is just too muddy and weak. The EQ's don't do much either. But again its a cheap tube amp. You get what you pay for and I was expecting something at least workable. I pretty much run my Boss distortion through the clean channel almost all the time. Reverb is kinda strange. I found that at high volumes even with the Hellatone speaker I was getting alot of farting on the low end freqs. When I disconnected the reverb it went almost entirely away even though I wasn't really even using it. The texture knob is kinda cool but I leave it on Class A simulation for the most part. It does make a difference especially at high volumes and give a bit more punch.

When I purchased this amp I really didn't see many low cost tube amp offerings as I do now. My impression is to make sure you play this amp and any other low cost tube and really investigate the crunch or dirty side before you fork out for anything. I don't think I would buy it again knowing what I know and like now BUT for $350 I got my moneys worth.

The low gain input has to be re soldered twice as it had loose connections to the PCB but other than that it has been very reliable and have gigged with it quite a few times. I also have a vibration somewhere in this thing that I am still chasing but its not that noticable to others just me.

Bought this amp in 2006 after my ex smashed up my Marshall and I needed something quick. 2 channels, reverb, hi-low input jacks, 2 6L6GC Power tubes and 3 12AX7 pre-amp tubes. Resonance Switch and a "texture" control know in the back. 50 watts and a single 12 inch speaker. Also there's a FX loop as well. Foot Switch for the clean and dirty channel. I used the clean channel with a Boss ME-70 for the distortion as I will go into detail below. Clean channel is fine once you get decent tubes in it and a good speaker. It really could use a noise gate and better reverb but hey it's not that expensive so.

dominodom
    Hey what amp should I get for a first tube amp, this Peavey valveking, Vox Night train nt15, Marshall Haze 15, or a Blackstar HT20?
    jacques3771
    Hey ive got a PRS Tremonti SE with stock pick-ups will it sound good through this amp??? thanks.