ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

I have to say that this is one loud amp. Typically for practice I keep the volume knob on the lead channel at about 3/4 and the clean to about 2 (the volume knobs on this amp goes from 0-10). The tubes in it are able to make any guitar sound good regardless of the pickups. Lately I've been playing this on my cheapie strat-styled guitar, you know one of those you can buy at wall mart for like $100 bucks, and some of the tones I've gotten are amazing. Although it is versatile I do wish that the cleans were a bit brighter and the distortion was a bit more distorted. It is possible to get some really good brights and some absolutely brutal distortions with this amp, it just takes a lot of messing around with the knobs on your guitar and amp to do so.

I think this is a great amp for everyone looking to upgrade from their solid-state practice amps. For just $650 you get an amp that's more then loud/durable enough to play at small gigs and jam sessions. It's versatile enough to play most anything and it sounds awesome enough to make even your cheapie strat-styled or Epiphone sound like an American Strat or LP custom.

I'd say this amp was built like a rock. I've only had it for a month but I can scarcely believe that anyone can break this beast accidentally. I can imagine this amp coming unscathed after being dropped down a staircase (even plowing through a wall or two). I don't recommend testing your Peavey amp in this way though (the amp can stand a beating like this but I can't guarantee the glass tubes on the inside can).

This is about the most versatile tube amp, tone wise, I've played. I play a little mix of everything From the acoustic numbers of Pink Floyd and Yes to the more distortion oriented metal bands like Finntroll and Maiden. The amp comes with two foot-switchable channels, a clean and a lead channel. Both fulfill their purpose rather well. The foot Switch though doesn't come boxed in and has to be ordered from their site.

CoreysMonster
    NEVER EVER TEST THE STURDYNESS OF TUBE AMPS! Believe me, they may seem stable, but those tubes will shatter very easily, especially if they're freshly played and still warm (makes the glass a little softer)
    jaxmiry
    I recently purchased the Valve King 100 Watt head to play through a Marshall MG412 cabinet (Marshalls entry level slant cab). So far I'm pretty satisfied. I've gigged it twice and it's plenty loud. I haven't taken it past five at any point on either channel. It's got a real wet reverb to it (which I like) and the distortion seems very tunable to dirty blues, rock, punk and the like. My one gripe is that the clean channel isn't always as clean as I like it. The brightness switch helps with this, but the lower frequencies tend to distort some. This could be due to the low end cabinet and might be remedied with a Groove Tube retubing. I'll repost if I do that any time soon. For the money, the amp is great. Highly recommended for a solid first rig.
    vegetoe01
    Awesome, great reveiws. Makes me want it more! Im planning on getting it after christmas , during the summer i will put V30's inside. Is it worth it?
    MESAexplorer
    Auditoriums don't need too much power because they are built for sound to spread and revobrate. A 40 watt 1x12 tube amp can cover an auditorium.
    MESAexplorer
    Sorry for the double post but I forgot to talk about the amp itself. I haven't tryed this amp out but mutiple local bands use them, they have a decent tone, similar to the 5150. I haven't heard the dirty channel alone as for all the people that have used this use a distortion pedal but then again they aren't very good at guitar either and don't know how to get a good tone. I would like to try this amp out just to get a good feel for it.