ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

Purchased from: Private

I have a Karina Les Paul Copy with a Seymour dunce JB in the bridge and an Ibanez ART300 with active pickups, both sound sweet on this amp. I mostly play heavy stuff and this amp is perfectly suited to that. The clean channel is fine too. I run the guitars through a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor but I think you should do that no matter what amp you are using really.

I am very happy with this amp, it has more than enough power and I am taking it along to our first gig soon. It is a good match for the kind of music I play. It is light years ahead of previous amps I have owned and I will only ever consider tube amps from now on. There is plenty of room to modify and enhance this amp if you desire.You can upgrade the speakers and tubes, but I think it is fine as is. Rather than modifying it I will eventually upgrade to a half stack like a Mesa but that is further down the track when I have saved up enough. Overall for the money this is the best combo amp you can get right now in my opinion.

It is a soild, quality amp. I always worry about the tubes and how fragile they are but if you're careful they shouldn't be a problem. Haven't had any issues with it so far. One downside about this amp is that it is heavy as hell and bit of a hassle moving it from home to practice all thhe time.

I had a 120w solid state Laney Head and cab which was just not cutting through the mix. It was drowned out by the drums and other guitarists Peavey Valveking 212 so I decided to upgrade. It just so happened the a second hand one came available at a good price so I snapped it up. I didnt know much about tube amps, but I would never go back to a solid state after owning this. This is a 2 channel amp. I use a Boss footswitch to Switch between channels as there is a slight delay when using the Peavey footswitch, so I recommed the Boss unit over the Peavey one. The amp has an effects loop. If you are not using the loop connect a cable from the send to the return jacks otherwise it loses power slightly if nothing is connected. This thing is powerful. As I mentioned earlier, the Laney half stack looked impressive but this thing blows it out of the water and its only half the size. I havent had it over level 4. You can hear it over the drums when its on level 3.5. The amp features seperate EQ for each channel as well as a AB/A texture and Reverb.