ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

Price paid: A$ 999

Purchased from: Joondalup Music Centre

I plug into this with an Ibanez GRG170DX, which is a great beginner to intermediate guitar. The Ibanez doesn't have the greatest Humbuckers - but honestly it does not matter what'soever. My main style is Metal such as Lamb Of God, Trivium, Disturbed, SOAD etc. The Gain channel is perfect for those tones (especially Trivium), and creates that crisp, edgy tone that I was looking for. The gain is not messy when you do sixth string power chords at all, which a lot of other amps are. It is absolutely brutal. Even though it is a combo amp, it is extremely loud. I practise with the volume at about 0.5, and it as loud as my other amp on 6. The clean tone does NOT fuzz on higher volumes. It is as loud as you will ever need to go.

This amp suits my style of music perfectly, which is metal. If you are playing softer rock, I would probably reccomend the Vox AD100VT. I have been playing for one and a half years, and this is my second amp after a Marshall MG10CD (sucks ass). I have been searching for my next amp for around 6 months, and I have played almost all of the amps in various stores. This thing comes on top, buy it now.

Reliabilty, unfortunately, is where this amp fails. fails miserably. I am not sure if anyone caught my "Peavey Valveking - The Horror Story" threads, but if you didn't, heres a little insight. I have gone through 4 of these things. 3 of them had dodgy tubes, wiring, or footswitches, and have broken down, creating a lot of stress. However I haven't given up on it, as I love the tone too much, and I finally have a fully working amp. The only thing is, there is a box with two wires in it that is missing 3 of it's four screws... -.- It also makes a crackling noise for about 3 seconds when you turn it on, which makes me shat my pants.

This amp is the best value you can get for a cheaper range tube amp. Two channels, Overdrive and clean, are strong enough to give you the diverse tone of a 3 channel amp. I don't play much in clean, but honestly, it provides a top notch, beautiful clear tone. The clean channel also features a bright Switch, which makes your tone less muddy. The reason I bought this amp, however, is it's Overdrive. This thing kicks the living sh! t out of the Bugera 333, Randal rg150tc, and Line 6 spider 212 by a long mile. The gain channel is best used for Very high gain metal tones, in full class a power, and provides an edgy, screaming pinch harmonic tone. The amp comes with an effects loop, but I prefer to just use the input. My favourite feature is that it has resonance and presence knobs, which improve your bass and harmonics. All tube 100 watt power.

Greasyglassy
    I wanted to jump in on the Marshall comments. First off, I owned a JCM2000 212 combo several years back and loved it but I ended up selling it. I recently bought my son a guitar for Christams and wanted to get him a small practice amp to play. So I run up to GC and check out a Marshall MG250DFX Combo. It had some digital effects like delay and chorus so I thought this would be a good little amp for him. I got it home and played on it for a while and was stunned by how badly it sounded. Also, none of the effects worked. Real nice. Now this amp runs around $550 list and is all solid state. I took that POS back and asked the sales guy to help me out. I told him I was looking for tubes for under $700. Well, I knew Marshall was out of the question. They have nothing in that price range that is acceptable to anyone who has ever played on all tubes before. We checked out the Valveking and I was blown away. So if you are going to make outlandish digs on the reviews by saying stupid things like "Marshall is better", remember, not all of us have parents that will go out and drop $1,400 on an amp so that they can post pictures of the Marshall logo on the internets. But if you are all grown up and have a job where you pay for things yourself like a big boy, this is a great value.
    touji-za-nai
    This amp is total garbage. It sound OK at very low volumes, but once you turn it up you get blasted by the shallow screechy sound that is this amp. The lead tone has NO depth to it, absolute garbage for hardrock/metal. 3/10
    SOADriff
    You can tell by playing them. That makes sense sings Marshall is to be called the best amp in this world. Everyone uses them and wow I wonder why.Maybe because the Peavey isn't the quality of a good amp. that would die out you.For more money Marshall is worth it. I have one that I got 5 years ago it never has died out.Or my mini it works perfectly. It fell once when someone dropped it and it still worked fine and its almost 2 years old. Marshall's better then this knock off.
    rock n roll, your thoughts and grammar disgust me.