ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

Price paid: € 370

Purchased from: Kapaza (2nd hand)

I am a very big Metallica fan so I play a LOT of Metallica and I love it! With gain on 10, you can handle heavier types of metal (EG Amon Amarth) but for playing Metallica, I usually have my gain on 5-7. Gives a great distortion and with some resonance and reverb, it gives such a warm solo-distortion and without the reverb, you can really play some heavy stuff which are is pleasure to listen to. However the amp can hum a little when you start playing but after a few minutes, the humming goes away. In clean, the bright Switch makes it very versatile but I don't use that a lot. I love the Boost gain on the gain channel. It is awesome to play solo's with it as well as heavy metal riffs. I have heard from a lot of people and read in a lot of other reviews that the Valveking can't handle metal but if this gain isn't enough, then I don't know what you are looking for! This amp f--king rules!

As I told above, I'm a die-hard Metallica fan and I simply love this amp! I have been playing for more than 2 years now and this is my first big amp and I don't really think I could have made a better choice. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the thief until I've found my precious amp! I think that I love the warm gain the most... If you combine power chords with palm mutes (EG the intro of leper messiah by Metallica), the amp gives such an orgasmic tone and of course I like the boost gain and resonance a lot! The resonance makes your sound so warm and a bit lower and the boost gain makes it warmer as well. I love it!

This amp isn't mine for a long time but I would definitely use it for all my gigs without backup. The amp never let me down so far (except for a little ticking at the end of a rehearsal but I was told that the tubes got too warm and that I should take more breaks when I play long rehearsals at high volume and it was away a day later).

I purchased this amp second hand for 370 euros when it was 2 years old with Brand New tubes. My main genre is thrash/heavy metal (and I'm a very big fan of Metallica) and this amps suits it perfectly. Very decent clean and a powerful gain which is great for thrash and heavy metal. The Valveking 212 combo has 2 channels, the clean and the gain channel with separate equalizers. The clean channel also has a bright Switch and the gain channel has a boost gain. Those 2 options make the Valveking extremely versatile and very easy to use (channel and bright/boost gain are footswitchable with a patented VK FS). The amp also has a master reverb (not footswitchable), FX loop, presence and resonance controls. If I could make a few adjustments, I would make the master reverb footswitchable as well but apart from that, the amp is perfect! I use this amp for rehearsal with my band (heavy/thrash metalband with metalcore influences) and I'm pretty sure it can handle gigs as I easily outplay the drummer with volume on 4.5:-P (well, what do you expect from a 100 watt all tube?).