ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

Purchased from: Private Sale

Upon my first few minutes of trying this amp at home I hated the gain channel. What I discovered though was turning the gain knob wayyy down to about 2 and adjusting the texture knob and eq's turned this into a killer gain channel. I added a BBE Boosta Grande into the mix and WOW! This thing woke up like a ravenous vampire that had been asleep for eons. A lot of folks I read say to change the speakers and tubes etc etc.. Not necessary in my opinion, you've got to turn that gain dial way down and use a guitar with a high output humbucker in it. Main main axe is a Fender Strat with a GFS Lil Killer in the bridge and stock pups in the middle and neck. On the clean channel I coulkd go anywhere from smooth jazz to old time country and western to blues growl when the volume hit about 80% on the dial. I preferred the texture (A/B knob) set to about 1 to 2 o'clock.

I play stuff ranging from Johnny Cash to Cannibal Corpse and my own original stuff which is akin to Black Sabbath and Black Flag having a love child. I've been playing for about 20 years and have owned mucho gear. I'd rate this amp as good as most Mesa's out there and better than most Marshalls. It's that good with some tweaking. So to summarize: A great amp especially for the money and especially if you take the time to actually learn it and tweak it to taste. No need to upgrade the speakers if you know what you are doing with an amp. I'm sure a set of Celestion G12T-75's would sound even better in this amp but all in all there's no need so why bother unless you are a tone chasing lunatic!

Can't speak for the reliability yet and though we all know Peavey's are the toughest amps ever made, this one is Chinese made so I'll leave that opinion for another day on this one. If it stands up like an American Made Peavey then it will be around with the cockroaches when the world ends..

Made in 2005 I believe. This amp is very versatile. I can go from country chickin pickin to all out death metal and lot's in between. Technically it's a two channel amp but with the volume boost/gain boost it's a 2/3 channel hybrid. I wish it had a master volume and I wish the reverb was better but it works well as is. I use this amp for practice and gigging in a cover band that does anything from Steppenwolf to Coal Chamber. Amp has plenty of power and gets way louder than I will ever need it for. Having that headroom is a good thing in my opinion.