ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

I got a standard Mexican-made strat. For those of you that don't know, they are the better models, not made in America any more. No special additions, except I added an on/off Switch. I know, Gibson wanna-be! I can jam with a band at a volume setting of less than four without mics or added sound. I have never really pushed the power capacity, I haven't had to. I can get tons of quality sound out of this model. Without pedals I can pull off great sounds like those found in "Nutshell", "Die Die Die My Darling", "What's This Life For?", "The Sound of Madness", and "Second Chance". Generally, I keep all the clean tone control knobs at 5, and the distortion tones between 5+7. I Live in an apartment and having the volume of either channel above. 5 will bring the police. That's right point 5!

For all the styles I play it's awesome. I also own a Peavey bass amp and love that. Many big names are starting to use Peavey cabinets, I just found some surprises in that area tonight doing some research. They are regaining a well deserved reputation. I no longer have as much interest in Marshall products other than the glory of a Legend. For my money, I liked it even better than the 5150 half stack I use to own. No need to sound like Eddie if you can't play like him. This is definitely a great product.

No problems here. I have loved their products ever since the 5150 line started. The company is really making great strides. I depend on it's quality and durability entirely. It has some miles on it and you can't tell. No problems, no funny noises. After a year of use it is absolutely perfect.

I believe it is a 2008 model, check the Peavey website. I can get full blown English metal to smokey blues out of this baby. Has a clean and distortion channels, plus a lead gain for solos, and a texture knob (that is unfortunately on the back) that determines which tubes are getting power and how much. Yes this bad boy is totally tube driven. It also has built in reverb and two damping knobs to control presence and resonance. Loop connections are included and can power a speaker cabinet, various impedance Switch included. It has plenty of power for small gigs without a cabinet. The worst thing was that the two Switch pedal was sold separately. This baby creates some luscious sound. Sound examples also available on the Peavey website.

The Wisemanator
    guys when i turn my texture knob onto full power, the volume of the amp goes sooo quiet you can hardly it, whats up do you recon? i replaced the big power tubes but it still did the sam thing...could it be a pre amp tube problem?
    Marshall Lead12
    Capt. Maxzmus wrote: I played this amp at Guitar Center just for the heck of it with a Schecter Damien it sounds absolutely amazing.
    I play it with a Diamond series as well in Memphis Guitar Center, was really nice. And that guy that said to change the texture knob and keep the gain low to get a great gain sound, I think he's probably right. Because I kick up the gain and treble to max, lol and bass and middle to about 1, and it was like really dunno fuzzy gainy. Not fuzz as in like distortion fuzz. It was distorted alright, but like on palm muting it just sounded like there was sweep echo on it. Definately planning on getting this after researching some decently priced tube amps. I looked at Kustom The Defender, it hissed at high volumes and people couldn't seem to make it go away ever after fixing, the peavey windsor had almost no clean tone to it. Awesome reviews thanks guys.
    blackvarg
    Does anyone have an opinion on how this amp works with effect-pedals? Thanks
    eclipse812
    the boss drive zone od-20 works great with this amp, and the pedal is great for someone looking for a variety of distortions.
    eclipse812
    COB_HC_GR wrote: This amp is good, but if you want a real power house amp, go for a Bugera! This amp does have a great sound and is well built for the price, but for the same price range a Bugera gives you so much more tone, sound, and power! and so no one brings this up, Behringer is the distributer for Bugera in North America.
    Bugeras also have some problems, notably the fact that many stop working after 4 to 6 months of owning the amp
    CharlieFoxtrot
    This amp is incredibly versatile. The only problem is that in order to get a nice Marshall-like tone out of it you have to crank it to the moon to get the power amp to distort.
    Apolitical
    I bought this amp about two months ago and have blown two valves already. Still, after getting some good advice from the Peavey forum it seems you may as well replace the Ruby tubes with something else a bit more reliable/expensive or more to your specific liking. I have ordered 4 TAD 6L6GCs and will see how that goes. It's a pain to have to buy new valves already just as a back up but I've been told thats just the way it is with tubes/valves. Otherwise very happy with this amp. The sound is nice and chunky and my God it's LOUD. I have a cheap and cheerful Les Paul Studio (worn brown with Humbucker Pros) and used to play it through a Vox Pathfinder 15W ss amp and it was OK. Through the Valve King 212 it sounds COMPLETELY different - it really gets that Led Zep Black Dog/Heartbreaker sound. Crank up the gain a bit more and go in for palm muting and you can cover Disturbed, Dream Theater etc. easily (well, you know what I mean). Quite honestly for the money and the power it gives you, it's a great buy. Just be prepared to learn a bit about what's inside and how to maintain it.
    Megadeaf
    Apolitical wrote: Crank up the gain a bit more and go in for palm muting and you can cover Disturbed, Dream Theater etc. easily (well, you know what I mean).
    It gets a good Dream Theater and Disturbed tone? Sounds nice to me. How's the Megadeth, old Metallic tone?
    Megadeaf
    isturbed tone? Sounds nice to me. How's the Megadeth, old Metallic tone?[/quote] *Metallica
    COB_HC_GR