ValveKing 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing 212

I use an Epiphone G-400 SG with stock hummbuckers to play on this amp. I typically play metal music. It is quite loud. The gain is plenty for most styles of music. Like I said earlier, if you're into the very heavy metal, you may want to get an extra boost but you could get by without buying a pedal. On clean, this is the best amp I've heard and for being on clean, I couldn't believe the amount of diversity in the tone you could achieve. I found that the only bit of static I got (barely any) was when I had the gain and treble both on 10. Again it was barely any static.

Overall this amp gives me goosebumps every time I play it. Whether I'm rippin' an A7X solo or playing some light chord progression, I am impressed. I think this amp could do me for a very long time. The only time I'd ever replace it was if I became a huge rockstar. If it was stolen, I would buy it again used. (not new because I have no money). I think this amp stands up to the rest in terms of tone, sound, and loudness. The only thing I wish it had was a Hellraiser Avenger.

I haven't had this amp for long but I did buy it 3 years used. After these three years, the tubes have not been changed and they still sound great. The amp has no marks on it. After talking with the man I bought it from, he used it for 2 of the 3 years gigging with it with no backup and it never let him down. After 3 years, it has let nobody down.

This amp has loads of features, all the feature the average->above average guitar player would need. It could be used for basically every style of music. My only concern buying it was that there wouldn't be enough gain for me (I play a lot of metal). For me personally, it has all the gain I'll ever need but for those of you looking to play heavy death metal, or styles of music like that, you may want to look into a pedal. Having two inputs is great, lots of fun to be had, and being able to Switch from the clean to lead channel is great! The clean channel is beautiful and clicking the bright button makes it even more enjoyable. The lead channel has a lot of diversity and makes playing solos a lot more fun. I even use the dampening knobs ( resonance, presence) quite a bit. The reverb is pretty good too. I personally use this amp in my bedroom and for the occasional gig. In my room, I can't go past 2 or 3 on the clean channel or 1->2 on the lead channel without my parents screaming at me to turn it down (Lots Of Power). Its a great tube amp. I also use it to play my ipod through with an adapter and it sounds great as long as you leave the ipod without moving it as you will get some fuzz.

barden1069
    rob_guitar
    Go for the half stack.
    -tempest-
    neoamir wrote: Am I the only one who dislike this amp?
    i kinda disliked them after owning one for a while but you gatta lean to use it then you'll get some solid tones.
    barden1069 wrote: the.eliminator wrote: this sounds like a pretty good amp to somehow magically make your cheap guitar sound like an LP custom. peavey must know magic Crap guitar + great amp = Good tone Good guitar + crap amp = Bad tone Good guitar + great amp = Amazing, mind-blowing tone Crap guitar + crap amp = Strong desire to commit suicide
    hhahahaha +1
    swordsofplague
    CamaroEric+ wrote: Saofan12 wrote: should i get the 212 or the valveking stack i really cant decide, im gonna need a new amp for practice and small shows the 212 is loud enough to do small shows with but if you have the money you might as well go ahead and get the stack. or get the combo and the cab... 6x12 baby
    If you go with the stack, dump the stock speakers ASAP. I don't know about the 2x12, but I played a VK stack and it sounded like garbage with the matching cab. Then I took the head and put it into a mesa cab and it was a whole different beast.
    Charlie4
    First off, all these ratings are way too high for an amp with such mediocre stock components. The speakers are the downfall of this amp. I'd say the most versatile/best priced valve amp for its wattage (50/100 watt) but an amp like a Blackstar HT 5 puts this amp to shame.
    Hells.Mascot
    EDIT: Peaveys are NOT known for their reliability, reviewer. And commenter, Peaveys are not a waste. Try the JSX and then say that.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    MESAexplorer wrote: Sorry for the double post but I forgot to talk about the amp itself. I haven't tryed this amp out but mutiple local bands use them, they have a decent tone, similar to the 5150. I haven't heard the dirty channel alone as for all the people that have used this use a distortion pedal but then again they aren't very good at guitar either and don't know how to get a good tone. I would like to try this amp out just to get a good feel for it.
    So all you've heard from this amp has been played by shitty guitar players using distortion boxes, and who can't dial in a decent tone, and you compare the sound of it to a 5150? Somehow I don't understand how that adds up. Anyways, the other guitar player in my band uses this amp and it's actually surprisingly decent, especially considering the price of it.
    jealderson1
    We used the Valve King head and cab (on the right) when we were recording this:
    Sounded awesome on the recording, had a much punchier mid than the Mode 4 half stack that I used on it (on the left I think) Saying that, we had to take the first VK head back to the shop because it blew up terrifyingly after less than a month. This new one hasn't had any problems...
    nestie11
    OK, I need help here. I own a VK 212 combo amp, and I just bought a foot switch for it (although, it's not a Peavey pedal...it's a generic one so perhaps that's the problem, but it shouldn't be). The volume boost doesn't do much at all, if anything. My understanding is that if you have the boost button pushed in, then the pedal switch will bounce you back and forth from regular volume to boosted volume (for solos). How much boost should I be getting? Is there a way to adjust how loud the boost is? I can't imagine that they would make an amp where I can't set the boost volume level. You need to be able to set your solo level. Please help. Thanks.