ValveKing Head review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing Head

Purchased from: Guitars Plus of Beckley, WV

I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with standard pickups, and this amp really suits all the styles I play. The clean channel is really good, till you get a little high, then it gets somewhat, too bassy sounding, and the lead channel, well, you really need a noise gate, 'cause the feedback is rediculous, even at low volume. I haven't really messed around with the tones, too awfully much, but there seems to be a good variety, and the distortion, isn't half bad if you have both boosts on.

I play metal mostly, and some classic rock, and a few others, and the amp really suits well. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I had a Marshall VS100 and G50R CD before this, and I tell you, this thing rips the others to pieces. If this were stolen, well, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else, but I would murder the thing that took it. I love the volume and the lead channel, but I hate the delay in switches. And I wish it had a built in noise gate, but, let's not ask for the world I guess.

I've never had any breakdowns or anything, but, no one's perfect, so you only get a 9.

Well, I bought this amp because I needed a tube amp for band practice, because my Marshall hybrid just wasn't cutting it, and this is a great amp, no doubt, but like the other guy that reviewed it, I have a delay on the channel switch too. On the clean channel, there's a bright feature that cleans up the tone a good bit, and then on the lead channel, there's a gain and volume boost, but they're really kinda useless, because without them both on, you don't get the same kick in the distortion that you really want. There's also an FX loops, but I've never had reason to use it, so I must leave that out. Also, the cab that I got with it, is supposed to have a stereo/mono switch, but I guess someone lied, because I can't find it.

JeffReigns
    Milenchi
    I own this amp to, I love it but don't know how to set it to get a great tone, if anyone knows a few great settings please tell me
    E V H 5150
    Of course a ValveKing won't match up to the 5150! The 5150 was Eddie's signature amp head, but Peavey has the 6505 which is still pretty much the same as the 5150, after the contract between Eddie and Peavey expired. I don't think it's all that fair to compare anything to a 5150...
    nickwarhead
    I used one for 4 months..I found it very muddy and cheap sounding. The distortion channel didn't have enough gain to play metal through, but had too much to really use an overdrive with, and the clean channel just didn't have enough tone to use a processor or a pedal like a boss metal zone to get a sound. Didn't work at all for playing speed/thrash metal. It would probably work out for something less demanding. You can't expect much for a $400 tube amp..I spend $600-700 on an old used Marshall JCM 900 and I found it alot better..
    E V H 5150
    Please help me! After reading these reviews, and then reading reviews of the same product at MusiciansFriend.com, I read no comment at all about any delay in switching channels. Does that mean they are not a reliable source of honest reviews?
    ParryPerson
    I have the footswitch, I've never noticed any delay. Mine might be newer. It's not that big of a deal anyway (unless you just love to whine, like some people that don't know how to use a tube amp and say this thing can't get a "metal" sound, witch is BS). This thing can NOT be beat for the money. Cover up the VK logos and play a gig, I doubt anyone will tell you how "cheap" or "un-5150-like" your amp sounded.
    lewis_saunders
    I agree with ParryPerson. I have the valve king as my main amp and i'v gigged with it two or three times and everyone said how good my sound was from a 550 rig. My only hassle is the lack of gain without the lead boost on. It means i have to buy an EQ pedal. The clean channel tends to distort at high volumes with the bright mode on but it sounds amazing when running a Mesa Bottle Rocket through it. Gives a great grungy sound.
    Shizzster
    This head looks awsome, anyone have any suggestions for the type of cab it would suite? does the VK cab work with it nicely?
    Cannibalkyle16
    JeffReigns wrote: I'll tell you what this amp is. Its great, for $500 dollars you can't go wrong, or in my case, $125 with a cab. It's not a 5150, so don't go in with those expectations. It will do speed/thrash metal(what do you think I play?)... however you've got to get your EQ right. And it has more than enough gain.
    Yeah when I tried it in the store it didn't sound amazing at first but then i got it to sound good after messing with the knobs abit. I was wondering why people kept saying it sucked...then I realized the people bad mouthing it are probably just to stupid to figure out how to spend more than 5 minutes on finding tone... (No offence intended to those who said it sucked, you're all probably better at actually playing guitar than me anyway)
    shredder_666
    Its got the power and tone, but i was a little dissapointed with the gain, something just did not sound right. Thats why i didnt get it.
    thunderinblack
    the 6505 is twice the price of this amp its not realy fair on this amp that you all compare it to the 6505 non of the Reviews shed any light on how good this amp is they all just complain that they cat set it up which is very annoying