ValveKing Head review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing Head

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I have a Gibson Epiphone Plus with OBL pickups(awesome), yes OBL, yes, awesome. I play a lot of ska/punk which means I go from clean to distorted like 10-20 times a song. I also play progressive, metal, ambient, jazz, raggae, and folk, so I need something versitle like this amp. I love this amp. I get comments everytime I play about my tone. I also play in a band with 8 other musicians and this amp sits my guitar on that perfect plain. The clean is great. It is sooo loud too, so loud that you can put it(the clean) on 6 or 7 and get a sweet tube distortion without using gain. It has a Fenderish sound that gets better as the tubes break in. I have a Fender telecaster with a Gibson 57 pickup that I use for backup and this thing turns it into a monster. The distortion is sweet although I have to max out the bass to get the low end I desire (I do that with every amp though). The presence and resonence knobs although very versitle and make many different sounds, (nice for tube amps) I find maxing them out sounds the best. Not to mention the knob on the back for managing how much power your power tubes send to the amp can change your sound and help in practice situations when you can't be too loud. Oh yeah, did I mention how inespensive this amp is? They could get away with a pricetag way bigger than this but they choose to help starving musicians like me Who don't have mommydaddy money to spend 2000 bucks on a guitar string.

It's a great match for all genres. I even plugged my non-active acoustic guitar pickup into it and it sounds just fine! I have been playing guitar for 7 years and a musician for 15 years. If it were lost or stolen I would try something new, but not because I don't like the amp, I just like new things right? Silly question. If your price range is under 1000 bucks for a Brand New tube amp I completley reccomend it above any solid state or hybrid. Actually, there isnt much of a choice in tube amps under 1000, so this would be the one to get.

At least 30 gigs later, this thing is my baby now. Not that many people have them yet, but I have a feeling you will start seeing a lot of these at your local medium sized venues because of thier price and good word of mouth. I also do not have a road casing for it but the outside is very durable and still has no imperfections. Back up amp? Man that's a great idea for anyone with any amp that plays 10-20 times a month, but if you are a once a month kinda person this thing will last you forever. I would give it a ten but I will wait another year or so to really see.

I bought this amp about 4 months ago and have played at least 30 shows with it. After I bought it, I noticed it did not come with a footswitch. Since the salesman didn't tell me, he went in the back and brought out a free peavy footswitch that looked like 20 years old, but it still works. I did notice a small delay when switching channels but I will assume that's the old footswitch a talkin, even though I have read a couple reviews saying the same with the new switches. I reccomend testing the Switch timing before you buy. Even still, I adapted to the small delay and now I don't notice it. I just hit the switch a little earlier than I would have on my old Marshall. 2 channels, and a lead for soloing (I think this feature is great I use it every song). No footswitch (35 bucks extra). 3 12ax7 power tubes. 4 6L6s tubes (my stock tubes were Ruby brand, which gets great reviews). 2 parallell speaker outs (I've set this amp up to two 4x12 cabinets at once and it was gloriously loud).