ValveKing Head review by Peavey

Peavey: ValveKing Head

Purchased from: Online Seller

Great versatile tube amp for all you playing needs in my opinion. 100 watts of tube power delivered through 4 power tubes, this amp is plenty loud. Clean and OD channel (2 different gain channels) sounds great. Each channel has there own eq which is cool. Presence and resonance lets you really tweak sound. For the price and for a cheaper amp I would defiantly go with this bad boy! You can plug two external speaker cabinets into this head. The look and style of this head is great as well. This head and amp is perfect for smaller bars and houses to bigger clubs. I live in a apartment and don't really play above 1, which is super lame but have played this head on 8 or 9 master volume and it is loud as hell... seriously lol.

I play heavier rock to metal to blues and this amp defiantly covers all those grounds. Two different channels of gain, the crunchier heavy one is channel I usually play on (with a tube screamer I know generic rig right lol) and think it sounds great. The less overdriven channel is great of rock AC/DC almost sounding tone, great for rhythms and bluesly sounding stuff. The higher gain stage is great for metal, when adjusting the presence and resonance you can go from djenty thrashy metal all the way to low bass deathy sounding stuff. The clean channel is great to, very warm. There is a bright control and when pushed sounds almost twangy in a good way. This amp can be eq and adjusted to just about anyones taste.

This amp was built great. Very sturdy and looks great. I took the aluminum caps of my tubes that hold them in place and in the dark this thing looks beautiful. I have had this amp for awhile and bought it used, I have never once had one problem with it, it always delivers that great tube tone. I replaced the ruby eds with JJs 6L6s, can't hear any difference seems to perform just as well maybe better? I would trust this amp when playing shows and practicing. If you maintain your amp (letting it warm up before cranking it and letting it rip, making sure everything is working properly not to hot) then you have nothing to worry about what so ever. Thinking about maybe replacing the preamp tubes just to experiment but have no problem with the stock tone at all.

Compared to my solid state Marshall MG series 100 watt head this amp blows it out of the water. The Marshall was my main amp for awhile and was great but the ValveKing is better. 100%. This amp cranked up with a separate tube screamer or OD sounds amazing and can hang with the big boys... (Don't get me wrong I would way rather have a 6505+ or a Mesa Dual Rec, but for price comparison the ValveKing is great). This amp sounds better in my opinion than any solid state amp I have played. One thing even though I bought mine used I have heard Peavey does not include footswitch which is lame... Come on Peavey lol... Not that big of a deal I think you can get one for 30$. If your new to the tube amp world then try this amp out!

Rookd
    This amp is great for how cheap you can get them! Great amp