VTM 60 review by Peavey

Peavey: VTM 60

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

I run a PRS Santana SE and a modded Squier Strat with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge and a Floyd Rose, though the amp is single channel my paul reed can get decent cleans and some feirce leads, the amp is very sensitive to how you pick and what your volume/tone pot is at. I play blues up to Progressive metal and the amp does these sounds very well however jangly clean I leave to my other amp which is a Fender solid state. Other than very very clean and massivly saturated distortion this amp has done it all. It can be a little noisy with the squire but that may be the wiring job for that guitar. My current setting for the amp is pre gain at 7 post at 2 cause I don't want to piss off the faces across the street my EQ low and mid are at 11 o clock and high is at 12 o clock the gain switches are ingaged actually all are but the compressor and one of the lows system presence is at 2.5 and at this when I grab 10 on the volume pot it sounds nice to my ears.

This is my first tube amp and my first halfstack and I love it yeah I wish it had a few more flashy details but you know what it's like person that never lets you down and dosnt ask for recognition. I've been playin for about 4 years and for me it's perfect, my other amp is a Fender FM212R which is a nice amp but not the same warm sound as the tubes and as mentioned hither to a prs sntana se and a Squier Strat that's been modded by myself. I wish I would have bought the amp as soon as I saw it rather than wait a few days is my only gripe. If it were stolen or lost I would hunt down another because it's vintage and cheaper than a new head and it's just better than the other used heads I tried out. I love the fact o can take the Peavey name off of it so people do not know what I'm playing and the sound range is just awesome for a single channel amp in my expirience anyway, I compared this to a mesa rect o verbe and a solo 50 and ended up getting it bacue it was cheaper and offered close to that range of sounds. If this had a channel switch I'd be a little happier but I'll figure out something to fix that. Great amp for 500 bucks and from the 80's man!

This thing is a tank I'm pretty shure you could kill someone with it however I would bring a backup for gigs cause there's a chance that someone may drop it and break a tube but I think that would be like the only thing you could break maybe a knob off the front but nothing has happened to it yet. The guy who brough it into the shop had never even changed the tubes and now that it's got new ones I'm pretty shure it'll out last me alsong as I don't chuck it off a high place like 12 feet.

This amp so I am told was built sometime during the '80s and seemed unscathed. The amp is versatile for a single channel amp low gain can get you clean tones up to some moderate overdrive and hi-gain starts where low gain left off and goes all the way up to joe Satriani-esq tones it's a lot of gain but it's not like a mesa cranked to 10. The amp has an effects loop but I have never used it, no headphone jack either, however it has a ground Switch that can get rid of some buzz. For me this amp is just fine how it is I suppose it would be nice to be able to swap the 6l6's for El34's just for the hell of it and Switch between low and hi gain channels but you can do much of this gain adjusting from your guitars volume pot. This amp has a great deal of power definetly enough for me you can power 4 4x12 cabs off of it, I have it hooked up to a Traynor cab with Vintage '30s and it's beautiful it can sooth your soul or rip your head clean off, very loud. This amp has on the front panel 8 dip switches that allow you further tone sculpting and the presence knob don't turn that past like 4 it can get a bit ugly. The amp may not be a recto but it shure screams, mine was retubed with mesa 6l6's when I bought it, great amp for your first foray into tubes or half/full stacks.