Vypyr 120 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 120

I have a modded Fender Starcaster with a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with no mods. Both of these guitars sound amazing through this amp. I'm sure a real Stratocaster and Les Paul sound even better but for now I'm more than happy with my rig. I play a lot of different things, ranging from RHCP, GN'R, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sublime. I feel that I can dial in a tone close to each of these styles. The cleans are bright and loud, and they don't get very distorted when the volume is up but this amps distortion is where it shines. Each model has a high gain and low gain setting, when I select the 505 model on the high gain setting I cannot wipe the grin off of my face for the next hour.

I've been playing for about a year and a half now, this is my second amp (my first was a Line 6 Spider 3 30w, which I thought was a great beginner amp) And I feel like it can do everything the Spider 3 could but much better in every aspect. The Sanpera pedal is a must (an extra $100 for the smaller one, $200 for the mac-daddy) which bumps the price up. But the pedal just makes the amp that much more versatile with a looper effect on it and the ability to cycle through all the presets just by stomping on a button and expression pedals. I would be upset if this amp was stolen and would replace it instantly. It was between this and the Line 6 Spidervalve, but the Line 6's were much more expensive and I thought the Peavey was just an over all better deal.

I treat my equipment like gold so I don't expect any problems with it. This is my first tube amp so I'm giving it plenty of time to heat up and cool down and I expect it to last me for a long time. I would definitely gig with out a back up. I was deciding between this amp and the Line 6 Spidervalv but the Line 6's that were on the floor both had trouble with the volume knobs, maybe it was because of abuse from other customers but my Peavey was a floor model (only one in stock) and I got the 2 year plan with it so I think I'm set.

This amp is extremely versatile, I'm still going through all of the different models it offers, if you buy the pedal (recommended if you plan on playing Live) you can cycle through 4 presets on 3 different channels. So you can get 12 different sounds. This amp has very nice cleans, modeled after some Fender amps but it's distortion is the highlight. This amp has 120 watts of all tube power with 2x12" speakers, definitely loud enough for gigs and practice. There are way too many features on this amp as I've said before, but everything is adjustable and it takes some tinkering but you can get a huge variety of sounds out of this thing.

koonm777
    i have the tube 60 and its exactly like the 120,(only not as loud), and i have to say.. i would replace this amp if i lost it in a heartbeat. its way better than a line 6. the tube screamer on it is almost like having the real thing. the sanpera 2 lets you have up to 400 presets i think? plus it has a light show!!!
    guitargod1965
    this amp, like all of the vypyrs, has a lot of unwanted "noise" and the noisegate chops up the sound in a lot of situations. I do not find this a particularly good amp, but, hey, tone is subjective and some of you may really like this amp. Best of luck.
    Ali-b912
    Very basically Vypyr has a computer in it, meaning it's liable to crash. It seems to do it fairly often. The build quality is pretty average, and I don't like the digital pots, but the sounds are pretty good IMO. I preferred it over other modelling amps, because others always sound kinda like Mesa Rectifiers, with the really scooped mid sound.
    Guitar Sushi
    CleanCanvas wrote: AngryGoldfish wrote: They're not for everyone, no. You can't deny, though, that they make some of the best amps for low budgets. yes they do... but for the around the same price u can get a bigger and a better randall and randalls sound is so much better
    Oh do they? In my days of being a young guitarist. I went out and bought a Randall GH150 head with Celestion cabinet (actuall ordered from overseas). While it sounds ok for riffing. When I use the top three strings (E,B,G), the sound is akin to a cat being strangled. IT SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. Unfortunately I ordered the amp from overseas and couldn't return it. SOOOO, now I am selling my shitty Randall for the yummy peavey vypyr tube head. This time I have already tried in the store and it has a very yummy, easily digestible range of tones.
    B.Cross
    I bought the tube 60 and gig with it 3 times a week for the last 11 months, I have 2 all tube heads sitting in my rehearsal room that I never use anymore. The vypyr sounds just as good as my mesa head and my Ampeg Vl-502 For all of you guys say that they sound thin or some other BS because you want to be satisfied with what you have or whatever, I say to you that this amp performs and sounds fantastic. It's perfect for cover gigs period there is not a product on the market that can beat it. I liked it better than the axe fx or any other modeling amp. By the way the preamp section is analog and uses diode clipping for distortion not digital but does have digital control parameters. Now of course it does not sound exactly like my mesa or ampeg but it is really close through a 2x12 cabinet that I use. This amp is fine to gig with for all of you naysayers and it Rocks and has loads of tone.
    johncarte
    johncarte
    Oh i forgot one more thing...I only paid $150 for my Vypyr 120 on Ebay..and it was free shipping from California..
    Duker63
    Amp Sounds Fantastic Cons The added Features dont work It has a Studio Quality USB port that isnt studio Quality and the Firmware and Patch software goes from bad to worse I got almost half off a floor model. I wouldn't pay list for it ever. But It Sounds really really good
    fathooker
    johncarte wrote: Tone and sound is like religion or politics, everyone has their own opinions ,likes ,dislikes, favorites blah blah blah. Bottom line...try one somewhere, if it is not what you like ok, cool...buy something else. I have a Mesa Boogie 2-12 Maverick, a modded Fender Hotrod Deluxe, a Fender Super Champ XD, PV Studio Pro and a Vypyr 120...I love them all for what each does..I wont say that any of them are the best, that would be like saying anything else is garbage and thats not true. To me,IMHO, All the amps I have are awesome.
    you have the mesa 2-12 and this vypyr. 2 feiends of mine have these amps (one has the mesa on had the vypyr) and both are wondering the same thing; can you connect these amps to a 2x12 cab AND have the on-board speakers running, making it a 4x12 half stack? or will the on-board speakers be bypassed? this would be a big waste of money if they did and they cant find anyone to answer them