Vypyr 120 Review

7.7
 7,365
reviews (2) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Vypyr 120 Reviewed by: Pharazlyg, on april 09, 2009

Features: For an amp that's new on teh market, this is a Godsend. The amp has a full tube section, 12AX7 preamp, 6L6 power section, and two twelve inch speakers that deliver plenty of headroom. It's plenty loud enough with 120 watts of tube driven power behind it, and it has enough modeling capbilities to suit anyone's needs. You can run two main effects at the same time, and have your amp modeling working as well. Even though everything is digital, it still performs very well. The pitch shifter was a little dissapointing, as it doesn't seem to have the proper customization to sound spot on. // 9

Sound: I'm a rock guy, but I play metal and some clean stuff too. However, with this amp, you could pull anytone you needed out of it. The amp models it provides encompass everything a guitar player would need. Clean, blues, classic rock, punishing metal. It can do it all. The speakers are pretty decent as well, they handle the power and deliver a very clear tone, even on heavy distortion. You can also pull a very nice natural tube distortion out of it as well, making it the most versatile amp I've ever seen. There seems to be a heavy noise gate on it that can clip your sustain a tad, but other than that, the amp sings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Here's where the Vypyr 120 can get a little iffy. Once in a great while, when you turn the amp on, it will fail to boot up, and the amp will actually lock up. It's no big deal, really. All you have to do is turn it off, and then on again and it's fine, but it's still slightly worrying everytime it does it. Also, the first Sanpera pedal I purchased for it kept cutting out. The one I have now works fine, but it was a hassle during band practice for your sound to suddenly completely cut out. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is perfect for everything I do. It's got better modeling than my old flextone, and more power than my Crate halfstack. I would replace it in a heartbeat if I ever lost it. It performs great for band practice, and has plenty of power for gigs. It models so many different amps, it coudl suit anyone's needs. The only important thing to realize about the Vypyr 120 is, is that it can only model amps, it can perfectly replicate them. I've seen meny people dissapointed that they can't get a perfect JSX or 505 sound out of it. This is because it's a Vypyr, not a JSX or 505. However, certainly a wonderful and kick ass piece of gear. // 9

Vypyr 120 Reviewed by: M1K3A, on july 14, 2009

Features: This amp is extremely versatile, I'm still going through all of the different models it offers, if you buy the pedal (recommended if you plan on playing Live) you can cycle through 4 presets on 3 different channels. So you can get 12 different sounds. This amp has very nice cleans, modeled after some Fender amps but it's distortion is the highlight. This amp has 120 watts of all tube power with 2x12" speakers, definitely loud enough for gigs and practice. There are way too many features on this amp as I've said before, but everything is adjustable and it takes some tinkering but you can get a huge variety of sounds out of this thing. // 9

Sound: I have a modded Fender Starcaster with a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with no mods. Both of these guitars sound amazing through this amp. I'm sure a real Stratocaster and Les Paul sound even better but for now I'm more than happy with my rig. I play a lot of different things, ranging from RHCP, GN'R, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sublime. I feel that I can dial in a tone close to each of these styles. The cleans are bright and loud, and they don't get very distorted when the volume is up but this amps distortion is where it shines. Each model has a high gain and low gain setting, when I select the 505 model on the high gain setting I cannot wipe the grin off of my face for the next hour. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I treat my equipment like gold so I don't expect any problems with it. This is my first tube amp so I'm giving it plenty of time to heat up and cool down and I expect it to last me for a long time. I would definitely gig with out a back up. I was deciding between this amp and the Line 6 Spidervalv but the Line 6's that were on the floor both had trouble with the volume knobs, maybe it was because of abuse from other customers but my Peavey was a floor model (only one in stock) and I got the 2 year plan with it so I think I'm set. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year and a half now, this is my second amp (my first was a Line 6 Spider 3 30w, which I thought was a great beginner amp) And I feel like it can do everything the Spider 3 could but much better in every aspect. The Sanpera pedal is a must (an extra $100 for the smaller one, $200 for the mac-daddy) which bumps the price up. But the pedal just makes the amp that much more versatile with a looper effect on it and the ability to cycle through all the presets just by stomping on a button and expression pedals. I would be upset if this amp was stolen and would replace it instantly. It was between this and the Line 6 Spidervalve, but the Line 6's were much more expensive and I thought the Peavey was just an over all better deal. // 10

Comments