Vypyr 120H review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 120H

Purchased from: dolphin music

I'm using mostly my NT warlock with this amp as it is my main stage guitar and they sound great together, this is hands-down the BEST modeling amplifier I've come across, I've tried the line-6 spiders, the Roland cubes etc, and this one wins in both quality and value. I can only guess that there's some kind of built-in noise suppressor or that the wiring is just really good, because there is literally NO unwanted noise in this thing (unless you crank the distortion a bit too much). The distortions you can get of this thing are unreal, but that's where we get a bit controversial, because I've had the privilege to only try 1 or 2 of the real versions of the amp models on this and for most part its pretty faithful, but for everything else, I take it for what it is, not how much it sounds like something else, because to be honest I'd rather sound good that like some other band/guitarist. Now, that being said, it sounds GREAT! It suits my style great! I play mostly metal styles of music, but don't think that means this amp is just another hi-gain amp. I've also tried its clean settings and they all sound just as good! Gimmicky as it sounds, this amp really does sound great for almost everything!

so, think that digital modeling is a gimmick and that they sound weak and thin? Think again! I've been comparing digital and modeling tech to real tube/SS amps for a while now, and I can safely say that for the most part, you'd be right in thinking that digi-amps and weak gimmicks, but this thing can pump out the riffs like any other big amps! I've tried marshalls, Blackstars, and line-6 amps, and this one came out on top! No joke! If this was stolen I would freak out! I'd have to get a new one ASAP or find the stolen one and give the thief a nice little backhand. the only thing I feel this amp lacks is the foot-controller sanpera pedal to really unlock all its features, but that's next on my list XP.

this is where I have my doubts, I've personally never had a problem with any of the Peavey vypyrs (I own the 15 watt and 100 watt SS combos), but I've heard that they can break down quite easily, which is quite understandable seeing as all the effects and pre-sets are being run and stored digitally. All I can really say is that if you get one, you'd best be VERY careful with it or buy a flight case.

I don't know when this amp was made, but I know it sounds amazing! Its a digital modeling amp, so it works on pre-sets rather than channels, and you can store up to 12 pre-sets on this thing (4 pre-sets on each of the 3 banks). You boost the amount of pre-sets you can have up to 400 with the optional sanpera 2 pedal. It also features true analogue distortion and real valve power. It also has two sets of effects, 11 stompboxes and 11 'rack' effects, as well as that there are global delay and reverb settings which sound better than any I've tried, there's also a tap-tempo button to control the intervals of the delay. This is my main gigging amp along with my 412 cab, and they sound heavenly together!

sl1pk0t001
    scrubzyful wrote: I'm thinking of getting a vypyr, they seem like solid amps.
    I have one and they are